[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The Snowkiting Forum - View topic - Splitboard
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:57 am

Splitboard 
Post Splitboard
I'm trying to decide whether or not a splitboard is worth the investment.

I like the idea of x-country skiing into a location (through trees, under wires, etc.) then kitesnowboarding. This requires skins. Has anyone created skins for their splitboard skis? Any advice?

Also, kiteskiing is better for ice and shallow snow. Are the inside edges on splitboard skis as effective as traditional skis in these conditions? Will they resist breaking as well?

If you have additional suggestions or information, feel free to throw it my way.

Attachments:
File comment: 4578616D706C65206F662073706C6974626F6172642E
splitboard1.jpg
splitboard1.jpg [ 7.02 KiB | Viewed 12001 times ]
Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:51 am

Split boards are a great ride if you are heading off the beaten path. Not only for touring into spots, but for the hike out when the wind dies and you are miles from the carpark.

I had a Voile split last year, and it came complete with skins and all hardware. The main benefit of a production Splitboard is the inside metal edges, they really help while traversing steep terrain. My only complaint about the Voile is it is directional; while its perfect for steep downhilling, its not the best for switch riding.

This year I am taking an old twin tip thats sitting in the garage, and I'm buying a split kit to convert it. I won't have the inner edges, but I'll have a cheap kiteboard for backcountry snowkiting.

There's a local Utah rider that rides his split board in ski mode with his kite, and he's always jamming around having a good time.

That's my thoughts on the splits.
Windzup,
Brian Schenck
http://www.ozonesnowkites.com

Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:23 pm

:arrow: split boards are great but they are so far ONE direction boards...so like Brian said get the kit and do it yourself,,,,
skins...Voile makes them to fit on the split boards, dont try to make them,,it is a nightmare....although possible it is probably easier to just buy them..

Hi Eric see you out in Utah
Zebulon

Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:23 am

Splitboards and snowkites (splitkiting) could be the best combo for backcountry touring. I'm an avid splitboarder and represent for Ozone snowkites in CA and NV. I have only used my kite once with my split, but I'm looking to do more. The few issues I have found with splitboards are... they are directional and set-back stanced, soft flex, and tapered tailes. These features are great if you ride the board forward, but suck when riding switch (backwards). The soft flex and torsional flex from being split are also not compatable with kiting. With all this being said it doesn't mean you can't use a splitboard you just have to improvise. I just purchased the new Voile Mtn. Gun because it's the stiffest split in production. They offer it in a 161 which is not a bad length for kiting as well. The drawbacks are set-back stance and a tapered tail, however I have ridden this board switch with no noticeable issues. Never Summer will split any board they produce, which may be the way to go because they have a true twin-tip which would be an sweet set-up for splitkiting. Prior out of Canada I believe also makes a twin and can split them as well. Check out http://www.splitboard.com for some good info on splitboarding. As you may know twin-tips are the ideal set-up for snowkiting due to having a centered stance, radial sidecut and obviously twin tips for identicle riding forward or switch... just make sure its stiff and without deep sidecut (8m+). I hope this helps and feel free to respond with any other ???'s. I'm also on splitboard.com as Yoda.

Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:31 pm
Post THanks
Hey guys,

Thanks for the input on splitboards. I'm going to look into the Never-Summer option for splitting their twin-tip.

See you in the wind,
Eric

Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:38 pm