It is currently Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:18 pm

Snow in ND. 

Post Snow in ND.
Did you guys get that dumping this weekend across the state? I was in Rugby for my grandfather's funeral and spent a few hours paying tribute to him on his farmland in Rugby kiting away. It was cool to cruise along the hills he lived on for over 95 years. Good luck on the crossing! Here's pics from my fun to show how cool ND is in the winter.

http://www.mnkiting.com/coppermine/thum ... p?album=41

A.

Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:56 pm

Post Snow
Rudeboy my friend,

Yeah:

Minot: 6 in
Williston: 6 in
Grand Forks: 10 in
Bismark: 10 in
Fargo: 12 in

We're crossing the state on this stuff!!!

http://www.2xtm.com

Checkout the media section for recent photos.

-Eric

Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:00 pm

Post Anyone going kiting around Fargo on Saturday morning??
My parents live just north of Fargo, and I'm coming up from St. Paul for the weekend. My wife and I would love to get out if there's good riding to be had . . .

Give me a shout.

Nate
(218) 791-7635

Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:26 am

You coming to the Snowkite Rally Jan 20 &21 on Mille Lacs? It would be cool to kite with you there.. hopefully on snow! Ahh Fargo, my old stomping grounds. Spent 6 years and got a 4 year degree. Just like it should be!

A.

Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:50 pm

Post i'm in fargo
but i don't have my kite gear yet.

and...grand forks got more snow than we did. And after the meltdown, there isn't much packed left. I took a trip up to Grand Forks following I29 scouting for possible snow havens...i don't think we got more a few inches, but grand forks had a little more.

How far north? Harwood? Argusville? Further?
Anyways, once we get some more snow and decent cold to keep it here, I will have my gear, ready to challenge my first kiting year! (thats a lot of rhyming aparently...)

Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:56 pm

My parents are about half way between Fargo and Grand Forks. I talked to my dad last night, who said that the snow is still pretty "patchy" up there-- due mostly to the rain they've been having lately. (Rain?! This is January for crying out loud.)

Anyway, I'm going to pack up my gear just in case.

Peace.

Nate

Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:33 am

Rudeboy -- nice pics from Rugby. You certainly had more snow there than we got in Grand Forks. You mentioned a kite fest at Mille Lacs Jan. 20-21; is there a web site with info on that? The events link on this website lists a late February event -- is that the same thing?

Nate -- I rode a farm field on Tuesday (Jan. 2) just south of GF and there was about 6". Still a few dirt clods and weeds showing, but enough to ski on. (I think the Kings Walk golf course in GF would have been a better bet for coverage, but the field offers traverses of about 1000 meters.) Wed. and Thurs. GF temps hovered at 40 (above), with lots of melt on the pavement in town; my yard still has coverage but yesterday it was wet and heavy.

Weatherbug predicts winds of 10mph today (Friday) and tomorrow. If (when) I get sick of typing on this machine, I may go to the golf course in hopes that the melt has made a hard base fast enough to move my 185lb frame with a 10m Frenzy.. If I do, I'll post a conditions update.

jim

Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:14 am

Post Jim . . .
Kayakman-

I went to school at UND, and am familiar with the area, so if there is good riding up there, I may show up on Saturday morning.

Oh, and what is the significance of your screen name? Do you paddle whitewater? A bunch of whitewater paddlers down here in the cities (myself included) are just getting into kiting so we have something to do when the rivers dry up in the summer! I know that Rudeboy is also a paddler.

Peace.

Nate

Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:24 am

Nate -- I started paddling whitewater in Alaska when kayaks were 13'2" and fiberglass, and having a dry suit meant your wet suit was dry because you hadn't yet gotten into the boat. Before I moved to ND (to work at UND) in 1994, I paddled all over the west. Before the kids started arriving around 1998, my wife and I made regular summer trips back to ID, CO, WA, AZ and OR, and paddled the Grand Canyon 4 times. Now, with an aging Dancer, Corsica and Pirouette in the barn, and with a slightly newer Madness (damn short thing), I often surf the Riverside dam here in town in spring and fall floods, and sometimes get over to the St. Louis south of Duluth. This summer we may get back to Idaho for some warm clear surfing waves.

A cities buddy (Barry Taylor) tells me there is whitewater to be had north of you, and I need to come down and check it out.

If we ever get a good dump of powder, I'm toying with the idea of trying to pull the kayak with a kite. If you come up to ride sometime (or if you want to surf a 4' high, 50' wide wave), give a call. 701-780-9479.

jim

Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:36 am

I drove all over Grand Forks today (Jan. 5) looking for snow and came up empty. The farm fields are full of dirt clods, and even the new Kings Walk golf course (with no big trees) has less than 50% coverage. Until more snow falls, I don't think it's worth going out around here. This global warming thing is getting ridiculous.
jim

Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:28 pm

. . . an extremely "inconvenient truth."

NJG

Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:33 pm

Kayakman info 4 that event http://www.mnkiting.com

Nb

Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:17 pm

There are two events on Mille Lacs this year. The Rally in a few weeks as mentioned earlier (check mnkiting.com) and the Mille Lacs Crossing. We're excited about both.

The Crossing is in it's third year. It is a weekend of fun, which is centered around a race across one of our biggest lakes. Each year has been a unique endurance event. It is intended to be an event for everyone, with different length courses, and snowmobile support. The race is only a few hours and the rest of the weekend is all about riding. Last year there was a terrain park added, for the hardcore. We also had riders from something like 13 countries...crazy! Hope you can join us.
Recap of previous years: http://www.windancing.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=4630

Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:43 pm