It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:01 am

What size kite for a first timer? And other relevant info? 

Post What size kite for a first timer? And other relevant info?
I am in Finland and our normal wind speeds(non storm) vary between 5-10 meters per second(10mph-20mph approx.)

I see alot of differences of opinions on size of kites for beginners...I am thinking of buying a 2007 4-line foil model(not sure what brand yet). I will primarily be using it for snowkiting and landboarding once I learn but I PLAN ON USING IT TO LEARN WITH AS WELL. From what I have gathered: all 4 line kites can sheet and depower... is this correct? What do you suggest for a first kite (SIZE NOT BRAND) in these type of conditions? NOTE==I weigh around 170 lbs. Snowboard skill==Expert.

And yes I plan on learning to fly the kite before I ride behind it. I was going to buy a training kite, but I heard alot of people saying that training kites are usually outgrown in a couple of hours and then you wish you spent the money towards your first kite...WHAT ARE YOUR GUY'S OPINIONS on this? Could I buy a kite I can grow into to learn in calm conditions? Or should I buy the trainer??? New kite is about 490 euros and trainer is about 140 euros...

Also, whats the deal with the length of kites in metres? Does a 7m kite mean 7metres length or 7metres square(area)? If a kite says 7metres, do I have to do some conversion to find the square meter area? Because from what I have gathered that is one of the more important measurements, right or wrong?

Another thing is the length of lines...any advice on what is good for a beginner? Shorter or longer? From what I have seen they are available in 25-35meter but I haven't seen any clarification on what advantages/disadvantages the difference in length offers.. any info would be appreciated!

Last question I guess would be if there is a certain style of kite that is more suitable to the purposes I need it for which at first I guess would be more control, less lift and versatility(Style of Kite, not BRAND, thanks).

And just to recap I am 5 foot 10inches tall, 170 lbs, expert snowboarder, Need kite for learning and then Snowkiting(Foil design), WIND CONDITIONS= 11-20 mph,

ALL KNOWLEDGEABLE RESPONSES ARE MORE THAN APPRECIATED. Thanks in advance, a hopefull soon so be kiteboarder,
Draztic

Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:17 pm

well sounds like you may be able to use a 5 meter sheetable foil . from ozone or HQ the acess or apex . start out in light wind and learn to fly . then add the board . don't rush and jump out in big winds you well have wasted your money and body . if their are any kite flyers around aks them if you can watch for a day . where procetive gear and plan ahead . i understand the want to skip ahead but remember that you well have to train someone and would you like them flying your 800$ kite ?

Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:11 am