It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:08 am

Memorial Day Weekend - Snowkiting Anyone? 

Post Memorial Day Weekend - Snowkiting Anyone?
With a spring storm dumping on the Beartooth Plateau, I decided to bust out of Bozeman and get in some fresh snowkite action. I sped through the tourists of Yellowstone Park via Cooke City and up on to the Beartooth Highway. The road was closed over Beartooth Pass (it opens tomorrow for Memorial Day weekend) but one can still drive to 9500 feet where it was 22 degrees and coming down hard.

I got in a sweet storm session that afternoon/evening session (it’s now light ‘till 9) before I called it quits for the night.

The next day started out with a blue sky and 6 - 8 inches of dry powder. I spent the morning exploring around the Chain of Lakes area and was ripping on my 12 Manta.

That afternoon I checked out some new terrain, a two and a half mile hike up by the Beartooth Butte Lookout. I had wanted to kite here in year's past but never had the fresh snow to entice me up there. It turned out to be an immense spot with a clean fetch for wind and loads of mountainous terrain to explore. I had an intense afternoon/evening session pioneering this new spot.

As I drove back home through Yellowstone, I saw the usual tourists photographing baby bison (me too) and jamming the road for a grizzly feeding. However, my thoughts were up in the snow, relishing the moments of hang time and the endless turns through fresh powder.

What are your plans for the weekend?

See ya out there,

Noah

Attachments:
Beartooth-Butte-2a.jpg
Beartooth-Butte-2a.jpg [ 92.3 KiB | Viewed 7331 times ]
Thu May 24, 2007 4:27 pm

Post Memorial Day Weekend on the Beartooth Plateau
[size=100]Memorial Day Weekend on the Beartooth Plateau: Velvet snow and small kites!

Only a few kiters made the drive for the annual opening of the Beartooth Highway this year. But, for those that did, they had a great weekend of sunshine, velvety snow and powerful mountain winds.

The morning of opening day saw a line of cars and a hundred or so riders and skiers at the state line gate - waiting - for the road to get finished being plowed out. With a steady wind around 15 to 20, I grabbed my skis, my 12 Manta and, well, my first session was superb. The recent snows made for decent coverage and I had two hours of perfectly powered conditions. I have a hunch what my captive audience of adrenaline junkies thought when they watched me rip up and fly down the basin next to the road: [i]“Whoa, that’s sick.â€

Attachments:
West Summit Switchbacks.jpg
West Summit Switchbacks.jpg [ 145.19 KiB | Viewed 7304 times ]
Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:41 am

Post Thanks For The Updates
Noah,
Looks like you get the longest season award again this year. Thanks for the photos and the updates.
-Eric

Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:38 pm