It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:38 am

Vermont Kitestorm 
Post Vermont Kitestorm
On my flight back from the Kitestorm in Vermont, I was astonished. Normally, I’m forced to explain what snowkiting is when use the term. But this time the flight attendant, who had inquired about my visit to Burlington, knew all about snowkiting. This alone was enough to interest me, but when I looked to my right, I noticed a picture of blue skies and six kites over Lake Champlain; The Burlington Free Press had posted a huge photo of the Kitestorm on the cover of its living section on Monday. The Kitestorm left a mark when it hit Vermont.

Even with light winds, visitors ventured onto clear ice Saturday morning to receive an introduction to snowkiting, kite demos, and complimentary cookies. Beginners flew trainer kites with their feet placed on grippy Astroturf. Meanwhile a line of onlookers waited anxiously to get off the slippery ice and grab the kite-bar. I had my own fun. After getting a running start, I dove onto the ice and slid on my belly for over twenty-five feet. Others armed themselves with GPSs and took speed-runs on their skis, aiming to win the Peter Lynn that would be awarded to the fastest. Because the sport isn’t called icekiting, we invited the snow that began to fall around noon. As the flakes accumulated and the wind picked up, an unprecedented variety of kites filled the air: Ozones, Peter Lynns, Nashes; open-cell foils, closed-cell foils, C-shape, bow kites, single skins; trainers & kites the size of paragliders; several pushed the limit of what could be considered a kite. All the while, kiters were experiencing the Kitestorm in their own exciting way.

That evening, the group rallied at the Monkey Bar to converse and numb their aches with a drink. “The Next Chapterâ€

Attachments:
rachael.jpg
rachael.jpg [ 73.66 KiB | Viewed 7382 times ]
event.jpg
event.jpg [ 51.71 KiB | Viewed 7382 times ]
bike.jpg
bike.jpg [ 85.94 KiB | Viewed 7382 times ]
Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:03 pm

i thought that kitestrom was pretty good this year..ice was nice as it made the commitment factor a bit more if you were going to be in the air...be sure to land ok...!
i ate it a couple of time after spinning 720 and 1080 but it doesnt hurt if you wear pads..
anyways, Eric Matt, anyone else who will be at Skyline in Utah during the Masters, I will see you there, and remember everyone, if you are practicing jumps on ice, they only get better and bigger when you are on snow with NICE UTAH IND AND LANDINGS...
I CANT WAIT!!!!!!!!
see you all out there!

Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:33 pm