[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The Snowkiting Forum - View topic - I want to get into snowkiting
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:53 pm

I want to get into snowkiting 

Post I want to get into snowkiting
Hello, I would like to get into snowkiting. I live in san francisco, and would mostly snowkite around lake Tahoe, (northshore, around incline if possible)
I have never kitesurfed, snowkited or anything before. I got one of those two handled kites that you can steer a couple years ago, and can control that, other then that, no flying of snowkites etc.

What snowkite should I get (im 6-1, around 155 pounds or something) and do I need lessons? instructions etc?

or maybe one of you has an old snowkite that they do not use anymore, more of a begginer or intermediate that they would sell to me?

thanks a lot -powderhound100@gmail.com

Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:07 pm

Post Re: I want to get into snowkiting
Hey Powderhound,

My suggestion is to buy a 3 meter kite w/ a bar setup, find a windy soccar field, and fly the hell out of it. You can read how here: . Also, there's a new video by snowkitefilm.com out: "How To Snowkite"... you can buy it direct at . Lessons and advice from experienced kiters are always advisable.

Let us know how it goes.

Good Luck,
Eric

Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:58 pm

PowderHound,

I just added a section labeled "How to choose a snowkite" to the how-to section... it should provide some more answers to you questions.

Enjoy,
Eric

Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:29 pm

cool, thanks a lot

also does anyone here snowkite around lake tahoe (close to incline) because I read in a different forum, that the right conditions are rare, but this would be fine for me, since I backcountry ski and resort ski to, so I would do whatever is good on that day.

thanks for the tips

any 3 meter kite w/ a bar that you can suggest? (or anyone here have one they do not use?)
also should I learn fly this in san francisco, or in tahoe where I would be snowkiting?

thanks a lot

Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:13 pm

Hey Powderhound...

Tahoe Mountain Sports is having their first annual Snowkite Demo Day on March 8th up at Tahoe Meadows (aka Mt Rose). Here's the link for the details - http://www.tahoemountainsports.com/stor ... ting.shtml

This event would be the perfect place to get ALL the info you need to get started!!!

Hold out on buying a small kite and go to this event first. You may be able to get a used kite or something cheap there and even get trained on how to fly it. You can then take your small kite to Ocean beach and practice there.

PM me if you have any other questions. I might sugest you go to http://www.bayareakiteboarding.com and find the forum for snowkiting... it's great for Tahoe snowkiting beta. You'll see me (Yoda) posting there mostly because it's the local crew. Btw, I'm in Sac.

Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:01 pm

I second that! Snowkite clinics are the best places to start. Especially when they're (1) in your town and (2) free.

Regarding a trainer kite of choice; I learned w/ a Windwing Skyfoil 220... which ended up being pretty fun and sturdy. Ozone just created a 3.5M trainer kite on a bar w/ brakes, the Imp Trainer. At that size, I guarantee you'll get pulled around.

- Eric

Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:48 pm

sweet, thanks so much, hopefully I will be at the event yoda, thanks so much guys, your awsome

Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:32 pm