[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The Snowkiting Forum - View topic - Boosting tips?
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:57 pm

Boosting tips? 

Post Boosting tips?
Eric and others -- As a pre-season primer, can you share some tips (or point me to some on the net) for controlled boosting and landing? My 10m Frenzy has no trouble lifing me, but I'd prefer that I decide when it happens, not the kite. Also, I often see on your videos "kite loops" -- when and why do you want that to happen? Thanks

Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:21 am
Post Boosting
Thanks for the question Kayakman.

I also have a 10 meter frenzy, so hopefully my advice can transfer directly to your situation.

Let´s start with a few line-tension-to-boost concepts:

1. Kite speed/momentum transitions directly into verticle energy when you´re boosting.
2. When the kite is away the edge of the wind-window, increasing line tension can increase the kite´s speed..
3. Using your snowboard/skis to create resistance against the kite will increase line tension.

Ok, so here´s how we put these three rules together to lead to a "boost."

1. Build up kite momentum by moving (you and your kite) perpendicular to the wind until you´re at max speed and your kite is at the edge of the window.
2. Bring your kite, still at the edge of the wind window, to a point 45 to 60 degrees above the horizon.
3. Now quickly, yet smoothly, bring the kite back toward the center of the wind window. The kite should be moving further horizontally than vertically, but make sure the kite is moving slightly up in the window.
4. As the kite approaches the center of the wind-window, it strait up in the window. Simultaniously (before the kite reaches the center of the wind window) sharply edge away from the kite and load up resistance---aim to have the kite lines tension greatest as your kite is turning straight vertical.... (if you understand the three line-tension-to-boost concepts, you´ll know that the kite will shoot toward the zenith)
5. Hold on, cause you´re going flying!
6. Apply bar pressure to steer the kite lower in the wind window (so that the kite doesn´t luff or stall if you swing under it). This should be done either immediately when you leave the ground, or soon after, depending on your experience level and feel for the height of the boost.
7. Bend you knees and absorb the landing.

--- Alright, those are my basic step-by-step directions for boosting---

If anyone has something to add, please do.

I´ll to my best to answer your kiteloop question later... I´m still working on that skill myself, but I think I understand the basic idea.

Good Luck,
Eric

Last edited by Eric Byers on Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:04 pm
Post Kite Loop
As for the kite loop,

I understand it´s used for two different reasons (and probably more)...

1. Primarily as a trick; it´s pretty cool to boost with enough control to be able to loop your kite and pull off a landing. Click here to see Remi's kiteloop:

2. For the guys with tons of skill; after a long floaty flight off of a cliff, a kiteloop is used to gain horizontal momentum and land with fluid motion. Click here to see Chasta's kiteloop:

Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:01 pm

Post Reply to boosting tips
I think I see what I was doing wrong last season Eric. As I tacked left, I brought my kite back to the right as close to the ground as possible. I thought that would give me more power (and lift) because the kite was directly downwind for a longer time, but what usually happened was a dramatic sharp jerk downwind once the kite was maybe 20 degrees off the horizon.

Your decription made it sound like I should be bringing the kite back (to the right in my explanation) maybe 45 degrees above the ground; is that about right? I can see that having the kite directly downwind but off the horizon should mean more lift than downwind pull (recognizing you are going downwind once you lose contact with the snow either way). Is this a fair interpretation of your explanation?

One other question: when you refer to the "center of the wind window" do you mean (1) when the kite is directly downwind from the kiter (sort of like referring to the "fall line" for skiers), or (2) when the kite is directly
downwind AND about 45 degrees off the horizon?

thanks
jim

ps. This winter I'm thinking about becoming the first person to snowkite with a whitewater kayak. In preparing for this adventure, would you recommend a term or whole life insurance policy?

Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:51 am
Post Boosting
Jim (aka Kayakman),

Exactly. Keeping the kite higher in the horizon (45+ degrees above) while brining it back toward the center (I think middle might be a better word---directly downwind is what I mean) is key to getting lift when you boost.

We played with this a lot last year and were trying to get more lift by giving the kite a lot of "run up".... Basically we'd fly it toward the middle low, then send it high, hoping that the additional length of the run would give the kite more speed at the top, translating into a bigger boost. It didn't work. Just like you experienced, it pulls you horizontally instead of vertically.

Forward momentum and good hard edging are some of your best friends when it comes to boosting. Timing is number one. So the best way to get good is tons of practice. Try taking your kite out on grass and practicing flying the kite as if to boost. Use shoes with good tread so you can have lots of resistance to the kites pull. You should be able to get some float from a stand-still.

As for the kayack idea. Cool---go for it! Let's hope there's tons of snow cover this winter.... but then again, a ride over frozen dirt-clauds would simulate white water turbulance much better than deep powder.

And I vote for full/whole life insurance. In fact, I believe in it so strongly, I'll let you put me on the policy---I've got to pay for this equipment somehow.

Take Care & See ya soon,
Eric

Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:41 am