[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The Snowkiting Forum - View topic - Snowboard Bindings - Go Flow??
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:26 pm

Snowboard Bindings - Go Flow?? 
Post Re: Snowboard Bindings - Go Flow??
step ins suck. Nothing like a foot popping out at full speed. thigh burn means a good day.

Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:43 pm
Step-ins will never come out if you're in right. Definitely easier than Flow cause you don't have to even bend over and pull up your highback or anything. Also- very wide range of boot styles and (because the support is in the boot) very customizable in terms of stiffness, forward lean etc.

Only problem- no one makes them anymore! Clickers much better than Burton because toe-heel step in rather than side to side. But its all about getting the boot that's right for you. Most have 'walk modes' that let you turn off the forward lean... could be just the right balance for kiting. The 'Skylord' and 'Remote' (external high back) styles would seem to be the best. Definitely cheap on Ebay.

Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:43 am
Flow is the way to go, with quick access to adjust while still flying the kite, and more flex when riding on your heel edge, but you can tighten them to your preference. Reverse camber snowboard allows more room at the feet and narrow tip and tail. In turn this allows the board to ride better through powder and prevents heel and toe grab. We have the new Twisted 164 and it rides more like a 159 because of this technology.

Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:23 am
Question:
What binding type would be the most desired if used for both downhill snowboarding and backcountry snowkiting (3D)?
We're looking for the most dependable, problem free equipment, that has the very best track record for durability . Safety is the number one priority, then performance, with convenience pretty far down the scale.
If one is to read 'Flow reviews' for snowboarding bindings, it can be a bit scary. Maybe they are building the bindings differently for '09'.
Burton bindings reviews seem to be at the top for snowboarding bindings.
What are the 'pros' riding?

Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:48 pm

Hey Diloon,

I really can't speak from a kiting perspective (with experience), but I've been snowboarding long enough (25+ seasons (including southern hemisphere winters- I'm not that old!)) to remember when Flow was total crap. I certainly hope they've improved since I really looked closely at them, and it seems as many kiters are using them without problems. I have to give them credit for originating the fold back highback, which is now being used (and possibly improved on) by a few different manufacturers.

If you don't mind bending down to strap in after launching your kite, go with Burton bindings, or some other brand that's stood up to the demands of on hill riding and proven themselves Ride, K2, etc.

If you are interested in having fold down 'step ins' and are reluctant to go with Flow, check out the 'Cinch' by K2, which is an evolution of the Flow system (they have conventional straps, which are more secure/ adjustable, but the straps loosen and the highback folds out together) http://www.k2snowboarding.com/product/cinch_cts

Another 'easy' binding that I've heard good things about is the 'Contraband' by Ride, which is a single strap system. http://ridesnowboards.com/bindings/bind ... oductID=41

There's also some new kids on the block that seem popular... I haven't been paying too much attention, sometimes they really do make good product, some times its just trendy shit.

Good luck-.
K

Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:42 pm
Last week someone brought up a really good point regarding the Flow bindings that I don't think anyone has mentioned. They said that if you end up getting dragged on your stomach that Flows will allow you to reach back with one hand to release the binding so you can get free from the board. He said that with regular bindings you may have to release the kite in order to get yourself into a position that you can release the bindings. His opinion was that Flow was the only way to go.

I checked the Flow website and it looks like they have 10+ different models. I don't know what the difference is between them. What are some models that work well for kiting? Does anyone know which model the Cabrinha Effect is based on?

Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:03 am

Hey Redcap,

You DO NOT want to try to 'get free of the board'!! Snowboard bindings are not meant to release, and are safer for that reason. On a board, both feet are fixed to a single object- its for this reason that knee injuries, etc. are much less than skiers- your feet cannot move or twist independently. The worst thing that could happen in the scenario you describe is you reach back, get one binding off, then you have this huge lever attached to only one foot while still being dragged!! - Bad scene!-

If you were being dragged or whatever, keep you board on! Then you can get back on your feet. without breaking a leg.

You should probably learn snowboard basics on a little hill before kiting with one...

Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:09 pm
Good advice.

I guess in the example that I'm talking about the guy was already stopped but was pinned up against a snow bank so he was being pinned forward with the kite and could only reach back with one hand and said he wouldn't have been able to free himself from regular bindings to get to his feet. Sounds like rare situation and you could just release the kite at that point if you had to.

I know exactly what you mean about the danger of the lever effect from kiting on my mountain board. In fact I really need to man up and tighten down the bindings on that thing so that I can't step out too easily. It would be better to take the fall and take the bruises rather than step off the board and blow out my knee, but its hard to fight that reaction.

Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:57 am

I’ve did some research for snowboard bindings and found about Salomon, K2, Flow, and Ride Bindings. You might want to try searching for some videos and tutorials to learn them better. I am sure that this one could help you on the Flow.

Last edited by joshdi27 on Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:53 am

Exaclty... stay with the Board in Snowkiting... They even have Heel straps for MBS landboards we sell as well. The Boards can't hit us in the face if they are on our feet...

Many of use are thinking snow now!

Great thing about Open Cell Foils Kites like the Ozones... the kite wouldn't go far if you had to let it go in an emergency.

Another vid with no (High Backs)... Just the lower part to make sure the board stays on...

http://www.PBKiteboarding.com
Sales-Support-Repairs-PASA Lessons
Kiteboarding-Snowkitng-Landboarding
Canada USA Worldwide

Last edited by pbkiteboarding.com on Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:12 am

Personally, I haven't rode a pair of Flows that I prefer over strapped bindings, for Kiting or otherwise (just my own opinion).
However....
Flow IS a great solution for boarders in need of riding the lifts often or for someone in-and-out of their bindings a lot: they save time. While I kite, I get into my bindings once: this kinda makes the Flow system unnecessary for me. I like straps because they have more on-hill, one-handed, on-the-fly adjust-ability (without taking your boot out) and more 'feel' than the bulky Flow system. Although, once initial set-up is complete, Flows have very little to mess with and have the convenient 'one-handed' high-back release.

Bottom line: try some different stuff and see what works best for you. There are plenty of on-snow demos and kite-product demos. Also, I think it is worth noting that Cabrinha's parent company, Neilpryde, owns Flow: Which, I have a sneaking suspicion, is why Flows are so dominantly marketed in the kite industry.

Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:20 pm

I am new to snow-kiting but have been snowboarding for a while, and would highly recommend a traditional two strap binding with a toe strap. Here is why,

- They generally give you a more "connected" feel to the board, regardless of what boot you are wearing.
- Any decent strap binding works pretty smooth and has nearly as fast an entry as a a flow binding
- The tow strap allows you to sinch the binding down to all beat hell without putting pressure on the your foot (instead, on the tow of the boot)
- They are lightweight, cheap, possibly stiff depending on the binding

Concerning boots, usually whatever fits best, usually works best. IMO, if want compact/lightweight boot I would look at ThirtyTwo first. Probably the most comfortable and responsive boot I have ever used.

Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:48 am