[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The Snowkiting Forum - View topic - Snowboard Bindings - Go Flow??
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:19 pm

Snowboard Bindings - Go Flow?? 
Post Snowboard Bindings - Go Flow??
Last year was my first year snowkiting and I used a pair of cheapo alpine skiis. I'd like to move to a snowboard this year but I've never snowboarded and don't know much about the different types of bindings.

I remember reading that Flow bindings are good for snowkiting but don't remember the reasons why. I know that Cabrinha sells some rebadged Flow bindings for snowkiting as well.

So I'd like to find out if the Flow bindings are worth spending $ on and are better for snowkiting than other bindings :?:

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:31 am

Post Re: Snowboard Bindings - Go Flow??
redcap,

That's a great question. I've riden with traditional snowkite bindings, but have not yet tried 'Flow' style, hinging-back bindings (APO makes something similar). I remember that some kiters prefer them because they're easier to enter and adjust while you have the kite in the air; using one hand to fly the kite and the other to bring up the binding backs.

While that style of binding is easy to enter, I think that having a solid back, traditional binding has a lot of advantages. For example most of the time that you snowkite, you're on your heel edge. Having a sold back binding gives you rigid support in this position.

The pros... Chasta, Remi, Claes, etc... use either style of binding, and look how they ride! So I think it mostly comes down to personal preferance.

I suggest trying both styles to see what you like... then buy.

-Eric B

Attachments:
File comment: Cabrinha Effect Back Entry Snowkite Binding
effect00.jpg
effect00.jpg [ 71.55 KiB | Viewed 29887 times ]
Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:53 am
Thanks for the reply Eric. When you say that you've ridden "traditional snowkite bindings" do you mean "traditional snowboard" or do you mean an actual snowkite binding like the Cabrinha effects that you showed? Because I think that those Cabrinha bindings are actually made by Flow.

Do all binding backs allow the angle to be adjusted? I feel like I've read complaints about some standard bindings pushing the legs too far forward for snowkiting. I also remember reading about someone recommending that you take the back off completely which sounds like it would make riding pretty difficult. Wish I could remember where I read that.

Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:54 pm

Sorry for not being more clear; buy 'traditional bindings,' I meant traditional snowboard bindings---The ones with rigid backs, and two straps for the top of your foot/boots, sold by Burton, Forum, Drake, etc.

Yeah, I concur; Cabrinha and Flow are tied pretty tightly; both are owned by NeilPryde Ltd.

You can adjust the angle of most 'traditional snowboard' bindings to your liking. While I don't suggest extremely high backs, my experience tells me that having a binding back is safer and gives you better edge control.

I actually removed my binding backs one season. Here's what I found; Sometimes you want to lean back against the kite (consequently moving the angle of your leg calves) without being forced to change the angle of the snowboard. With high back bindings, you can't have the same degree of independence between your leg movement and the angle of the board. By removing the binding backs, you can use your ankle to maintain whatever board angle (for more or less edging, as desired) while leaning against the kite at whatever body angle you desire. This has the most advantage on thin snow over ice (or frozen dirt), where too aggressive of board angle equates to instability. There are three things wrong with this; 1. Your ankles get tired, 2. You'll never hold as hard of an edge without binding backs, 3. You're prone to injury.

One way to get the best of both worlds is to use traditional bindings with backs that aren't extremely high. Most bindings manufactured right now fit into that category. About ten years ago, snowboard manufacturers were playing with some funny ideas... I'm picturing some of the designs that I used to see at the resorts that wouldn't have worked well for snowkiting.

I hope this helps. Good questions.

Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:53 am
Anyone else with an opinion on Flows vs other bindings?

I've seen a few questions about boots on other forums. I've never snowboarded so I didn't realize that boots varied too. Is there anything that I should be looking for in a snowkiting boot?

Good to see some action on this forum now that the snow is starting to fly (out west anyway). With a name like snowkiting.com this should be the GO TO forum for snowkiters.

Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:40 pm

I have been snowkiting for several years and I have tried many different bindings. I finally settled with the FLOW bindings because for snow they are the easiest to get in and out of. I can set up my kite launch it and then walk over to my board and step in and start riding. While riding I reach back and flip the latch up to be locked in. I don't think that there is anything out there that is better at this point. I know the K2 cinches are close to the FLOW bindings but I prefer the FLOWS. I use the flow bindings for giving lessons to newbies and they love the ease of getting in and out while snowkiting.

Cole Russell
http://www.undergroundkitesports.com

Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:37 pm
I have been snowkiting for a few years now and am now a part time instructor for Colorado Kite Force in summit county. I to started out using skis until I realized that I wanted to face the kite and wear more comfy boots. I road the flow flite bindings last year and the only problem I had was that the hinge bolt needed a little locktite. I liked them so much that I got another pair for my other board so I don't have to switch the bindings. The flow bindings are great for in the park too because you can get to the bottom and just pop the board off. As for rigidity they are not as good as the traditional style because the right and left are the same. The back of the binding feels just as rigid as a traditional because there is a galvanized steal cable cased in plastic that clamps it to the base plate. Flow bindings are not too expensive either... I got my first pair for $99 and my last ones off ebay for $80. When you set up your board try to center your stance as much as possible. I set mine at 15 15 (toes out).

Boots- I'm kinda in the same boat as you... I just know that the ones I had last year were not good(too big). I think any boot that is the right size and not too stiff or too soft would work great. The only downside of switching from skiing to boarding is that you don't get as wonderful of a feeling when you take the boots off at the end of the day.

I hope this helps

Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:42 pm
I've snowboarded with the same bindings for over 6 years. Old rossignol's with ratchet straps, a thin metal base, and a high but flexible back. I used them for the 2 years I've kited. Last year i switched to flows. I really like how fast and easy you can get in and out of the flows even while flying the kite. I was immediately convinced that flows are the way to go. The "Flite 5" model is what i have. There is a lot of different adjustments to make the back perfect. It only took me three days of constant changing to get the perfect snug, yet flexible setup. :lol:

What i'm curious about is REVERSE sidecut :shock:
http://www.driftsnowkitemag.com/drift/2 ... ite-board/

Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:42 pm
yep. go flow. you can use one hand to get in and out and use the other to control the kite.

Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:02 pm

The only way to know for sure is to try them I'd say.
Flow
Rigid Backs
Rigid without backs

I'm using rigid without back right now and like it and can still do tricks and edge even with less snow. Feels more like kiteboarding to me. If my shins get tired, I ride more toe side so it mixes it up.

A lightwind vid no backs:

Such a personal preference.
If you get flows first you won't be able to see what it's like with no back. Maybe try friends boards that have the mix....

Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:49 am
Thanks for all of the replies. My buddy who is hooking me up with a board doesn't deal with Flows so I'll be starting out with standard bindings so I'll try them for this season and see how they work out for me. Then maybe I'll give the flows a try next season.

Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:14 pm
What about step-ins? I have been using these for the past two seasons and love the fact you just step in and go. Anybody else out there try these? I have 2 year old burton's. I guess they stopped making them now though.

Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:23 pm

I've never used step-ins to snowkite, but I know Sam Salwei has... he's one of the guys who snowkited across North Dakota (twice, almost). I'll check to see what he thinks about them.

Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:49 pm
I took the backs off of them and liked that better. The boot isn't as stiff as you might think. The only problem is once and a while you have to dig the snow out before you can re-set the step in latches. The good part is most downhillers don't use them anymore so they are available pretty cheap if you can find them. Definately worth a try if you come across boots/binding cheap.

I am curious to know about your freind's experience with them going long distance.

later,

Andy

Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:15 am
Have ridden many models of bindings, and would rec an entry level flow for beginning snowkiter, that said have a few comments that i hope helps. binding choice is personal though, and i know lots of guys riding straps.

no-back strap - can be used with just the ankle strap, can relieve thigh burn, good for cruising around.

straps - little harder to get into, but locks down well and good for loading edge and tweaking tricks.

Flow - entry level models have flexy highback and supportive strap, mid to higher end models have more stiff highback and flexy strap - depends on model, pretty much only binding you can easily adjust highback forward lean while in the binding.

I usually get thigh burn first sesh or two of the year and then it goes away, same as if i were riding chairlifts. you can jus mellow out highback forward lean, and after a few seshs increase it to where you like it. i like the feel of stiff highback, i find it gives better edge hold for gusts and gettin air.

Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:52 pm