It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:06 am

Skyline Drive 

Post Skyline Drive
I wish I had posted Saturday morning with the insight of how this last weekend would turn out. For me Saturday was the best day of the year, and Sunday opened up new concepts that will forever change my riding style.

South-SW winds on Saturday blew from early morning and only lightened up in the afternoon after we were all knackered from hours and miles and miles of Snowkiting. It was the perfect day and epitomized why I snowkite. I started early on a Xc tour down the ridge, just Heather and I cruising and exploring as we made our way 3 miles down Skylines main ridge. We would drop down a slope and carve some turns, before looping our kites back to the summit of the ridgeline. Along the way we sessioned little half pipes and windlips while we explored. On our way back we saw more kites in the sky and we split up, Heather went to ride with her friends by the parking area, while I headed over to follow Chasta and a few others. Within minutes there were kites on every ridge and every slope. And that set the pace for the day, with everyone exploring the mountain.

About 10 newcomers came out to try Snowkiting, many of them cruising uphill on their first day. It was very cool to share the experience and a perfect day of Snowkiting with so many friends. With Chasta around we are all picking up a few new tricks as well, and finding the right terrain for big flights is getting more obvious.

Sunday turned out something even more special, South-East winds, a rare occurance at Skyline. This direction not only opens up the cornice riding and steep slopes, but Sunday it opened an entire new riding area at Skyline. At first we were giddy just ripping the corniced face like a steep breaking wave, and then we started just flying off the top of the cornice for massive air time. At one point Rob and I were in the air together just laughing out loud, it was so much fun.

Did I mention the biggest road gap ever? Chasta found a hillside with the wind coming straight up it. From way up on the slope he charged down full speed and sent the kite. As his Frenzy hovered overhead, Chasta spun like a madman underneath, and pulled a perfectly timed kiteloop that dropped him into the transition on the otherside of the road. From my vantage point I saw Chasta shoot away from the hill and float higher than me as he flew over the road a hundred feet below. It was amazing, especially since we all got to see several instant replays.

There are not enough words to describe the positive feelings that this weekend brings. Snowkiting and Skyline rock.....when the snow melts I'm going to cry!

Windzup,
Brian Schenck

Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:08 am

Post Brian
Brian,

Sounds like a killer session. I can't wait to see the fotage. Althought I envy the hills, we've been having a killer time on the flats. Nathan Borer made an incredible rail, which the guys at Mil Lacs Lake got to enjoy. More pictures to come.

-Eric

Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:46 pm