It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:52 pm

Dimensions! 

Post Dimensions!
I just got a sneak peak at Dimensions in its entirety! If I didn't have 2 tests to cram for before 8am tomorrow, I'd write a blog entry about it. Here are some quick facts: it's about an hour long (longer than Entropy & Something Stronger), it features a lot more 'terrain' play, and it'll consume your brain if you watch it only once :wink: . More to come soon...

Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:42 pm
Post Re: Dimensions!
Nice.....looking forward to the review, but I'll be buying it anyway. 8)

Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:11 pm

The film looks sick! the three down stair rails set up looks so fun :!: ,where was that?. and congrats to Petter on making the LF team ! http://www.liquidforcekites.com/LFTV/1/ ... imensions/

Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:14 am
I saw that we can pre-order Dimensions from snowkitefilm.com. Were in the US can we order once it is available?

Side note, can you image the liablility and accidents waiting to happen when sliders are available to the general snowkite public. While its new and attention getting, the thought of an accident is scary. Those triples do look cool though.

Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:34 pm

Ok, I'm back...

UKA, just like in Something Stronger, there's a 'crash' portion of the video... its amazing that these guys didn't break themselves on the tripple rail. The rails certainly appeal to me, coming into snowkiting w/ a snowboarder background... Plus, being in the flat Upper Midwest, rails are about the most fun terrain we can create/find---Right Nathan?

Are you looking to buy a single copy for yourself? If so, email me here: eric@ snowkiting.com . Since my last post, I've watched the film about 5 times... This stuff is good.

Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:40 pm

Werd Eric! .
UKA, rails are definatly a part of snowkiting and have been for sometime now( http://www.snowkiting.com/index.php?start=140 ) there has been a park open to the public for snowkiting in MN since 2004 and in CO for a long time the CO crew Motz, James etc. are the godfathers of kite jibbing, the thing is theres just not that many people into it. which is good in many ways, and its not really new snowboarders have been jibbing rails for two decades , using a kite to snowboard is fun!

Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:35 am
I'm new to the rail thing. I'll probably never ride them, experiement, but probably never get good.

I ask because, I'd like to make the SuperFly Open every bit exciting as the Therapy Session and Millacs. Last year we bought the sliders you see in Dimensions (with Best Graphics), this year we are planning on adding more. We also had a kicker, but like last year (extreme weather prevented us from making the other features) we are planning more features.

I'll start a new thread. I'd like to hear some creative ways to build simple and retively inexpensive sliders. But at the same time, I'll be thinking of ways to make them safer. The image at the top of this page is a good example, low profile. Seeing someone get drug through a tall heavu steel slider by a kite scares the hell out of me.

We are talking about a full on kite park, but Im skeptical because of the large amount of wind and snow we get. Maintenance would be a nightmare. Simple lighter rails and sliders that can be moved easy could be the ticket.

Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:03 am

UKA thats sweet man ! I heard that event was killa and I would love to get there for it (hopefully my knee will be healed by then) . I would be more than down to help out with something like that!
are you guys working with Powder mountian ? I thought thats what i read , if so mabey they could be a resource for getting some rails/obstacles . yea its really alot of work to put together a park and money its not cheap , its a great Idea to have lighter smaller rail s but hten you are limited to what you can do and ride.
heres a good site to check out go to the terrain park equipment, tons of goodies here
http://planetsnowtools.com/

Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:28 pm

That down rail is sooo sickk!!! I dream of hitting something like that with a kite all the time but havent found anything like that.

In my opinion, we have started to hit some of the more basic rails kiteboarding, like flat bars, and other simple designs, but I think its time to step it up and get more creative. That website Nathan showed has a lot of really good obstacles that would be awesome to snowkite on. The best rail that goes up, flat down, to flat was one of the most fun rails that have ever hit and was definitely pushing rails in the right direction, at the snowkite rodeo I was sessioning that thing just about non stop.

I would really like to see a mix of obstacles at an event like powder open, with more simple rails like the flat best box, and to be totally honest, I think that the bigger best rail could fit in the more intermediate category. What about using some terrain for our rails? down rails that you hit like an urban on, maybe even a stair set underneath like in dimensions. Also setting up rails with gaps, drops, step ups, anything of the sort could bring a whole new aspect to snowkiting that as far as rails goes really hasn't but done as of right now.

I think that a C rail or S rail also would have huge potential, unlike any other rail(that I have hit at least) for the most part the kite just pulls you pretty steady and consistent, a C rail however you could do something like a transition turn on it, sending your kite back the other way, and then back again the other way with an S rail. A few years ago Nathan and I experimented with an idea like this this out of half of a trampoline that we found in a ditch. It worked surprisingly well, but the overall curve of the C was too short and because it was just a trampoline we were pretty limited to what we could actually do with it, but heres an idea of how we set it up. This jump/rail had so many different ways you could hit it it made for a very very fun obstacle.

I feel like a wallride has some huge potential in kiteboarding, but has yet to be done. Almost every major resort has gotten some sort of wallride on their snowboard parks, and every time I hit one I just can't stop thinking about the potential in one. Maybe to make it work it would have to be like some sort of a spine, so it could be hit on either side, going directly down wind? How to set it up best for snowkiting would take some playing with, but I definitely feel like this could be done very well.

Here are my thoughts of where I would like to see snowkite rails go, I would like to hear what others have to say. I know that Nathans got plenty of rail ideas, he has been skeeming up new designs for years and made some pretty impressive things. Heres a few other of Nathan's and NSK's creations from the last few years.
Very easy beginner box, great first rail to hit.
Small rail set up, very fun to gap on/gap off. Also, the middle part works as a spine which was a lot of fun, especially with a snowskate/kite.
About an 18 or so inch wide box I made a few years ago, a lot of fun and pretty easy to hit.
A little bit more advanced of a rail, and check out the second way to get on.
and finally the scamp...

Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:29 pm
Hunter, I like your vision. Wish you were one of our locals. Great images. With some imagination and alot of work, the sky is the limit. For the wood sliders, what did you use for the sliding surface?

Nathan, we'd love to have you attend the SuperFly Open. I looked at planetsnowtools last year but we have KAB rails here in SLC. Similar product, a little less cash, and local. Problem is the ski resort sliders are pricey.

I like the tramp idea. I'm thinking of having sliders fabricated that can lie down in the snow, similar to the tramp, or straight rails or boxes on a small snow row. These would be more ridable for beginners. Also, they could be transported easily and have a low profile to minimize risk to a kiter being drug. We are planning to add a snowcat created spine feature similar to the one show above but hopefully much bigger. I think we can fabricate a sliding surface at the top.

I'm impressed by the creativity of you jibbers and would like to see and read more. I was going to add a new post for this topic, but maybe its fitting here because its a another "dimension" to snowkiting.

Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:01 pm

The spine idea sounds sweet, that really was more of a small scale version of what we someday hoped to build, but unfortunately with the little amount of snow in Minnesota we havent been able to make something bigger than that yet.

As far as laying rails down in the snow, make sure that they still have a decent amount of clearance on either side so you don't catch you ski/snowboard tips in the snow when trying to slide the rail. This is why we raised the scamp rail so high off of the scamp so people would not catch into it. I think on the spine it will be alright because of the drop offs on both sides this won't be an issue.

Im still not quite a local, but im not too far from you this winter. This year im a freshman at boulder and I will definitely be making it to the superfly this year. Can't wait to check out what you guys have in store this year, last years event looked great.

Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:30 am