It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:53 pm

yet another beginner question 

Post yet another beginner question
alright, would like to get into this sport, and have some questions. I am about 200 pounds, an experienced skier, sailor, & windsurfer. I have an understanding of wind & wind window.

Is a 5.0 meter kite too big to learn on?
I seem to be looking at HQ Scout's because price seems to be closer to my reality & I feel I should learn a control bar If I am going to be using one long term (as opposed to handles). Does anyone have experience with this series?
Mostly what I envision from this sport for myself Is cruising local lakes and fields, so I would like to enter w/o upgrade after upgrade.

Any advice and suggestions welcome

----mdave

Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:53 am

Post Re: yet another beginner question
If you do buy the 5 M, make sure to take it out in 7 to 12 mph winds the first time. I don't think that 5 M is too large. Remember that the power produced by the kite (aka lift) increases squared to the increase in windspeed ( appearant wind, relative to the kite )... So a few extra mph of wind can make a pretty docile kite turn into a powerful little demon. Stick to the open field and make sure that there aren't any downwind obstructions that you could get pulled into. HQ has been making snowkite for several years now, so they're probably a safe bet. Do you know an expierenced kiter that can spot your while you try the new kite?

Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:47 pm
I think that your budget should probably have a lot to do with your decision. Personally I prefer to fly depower when so kiting so you might want to consider a 5 Apex II rather than a Scout.

The Scout isn't exactly cheap at $400+ and while I don't know what the Apex costs it must be in the same ballpark. I owned a Scout 4 that I bought to practice flying on a bar and I wasn't all that impressed. It did its job but I think that if you get serious about snowkiting you'll probably want to move onto a depower pretty quickly and flying a depower kite is quite a bit different in my opinion. Some people do prefer fixed bridle kites because of the simplicity.

Plus if you get serious about snowkiting you'll probably need a bigger kite than a 5m pretty soon anyway unless you'll be kiting in very high winds.

If you could find a shop or someone who kites near you and test out their gear that would be ideal. The kitesnowboarder.com has a nice beginner package with a 6m Access. Then you could add your low wind kite later on if you get into it and have a nice two kite quiver.

Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:14 am
I'd agree that the 5m kite is not to big to learn on, assuming you've put in your trainer kite time. If not, 5m is starting to geting big and akward to learn on in light winds, and not a good idea in stronger winds.

I started on a 10m frenzy after trainer kite, (240lbs), it was small alot of the time, and just right to scary other times. The smaller kites are fast and generate alot of pull for the size, so if you're on the flats with packed snow, the 5m could be perfect.

I think the saling point of the scout is to make it simple for beginners to learn on. YOu dont have to worry about pushing the bar in or out while trying to figure out how to fly the kite. There is some merrit to this.

But, I would agree with redcaps recommendation to get the four line depowerable kite (I think the scout is fixed right?), the apex or access. 5m good, you can get bigger later.

Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:49 am

thanks for all the advice, will look into depower kites as I expect that will be what I will use in future. I have decided to go to a shop and try some out and talk to someone face to face. Will also continue to view forum....

Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:27 pm