[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The Snowkiting Forum - View topic - California riders...
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:13 am

California riders... 

Post California riders...
After a serious month of wind-jones I just gotta' ask. Where is the best place to ride in NorCal? It's gotta' be accessible from a major road if possible since I don't own a snowmobile. If you had to list the best spots, what would you recommend?

No, I can't go to Utah, Colorado, Idaho or Montana since my "family-leash" is rather short. Thanks for any advice, in advance. BTW, I have a ski cabin at the 5000-foot level near Bear Valley (off Route 4) so there is some serious "bonus beer" if your favorite spot is anywhere near that resort!

Where to?

Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:09 am

I have ridden in Bearvalley and have a place of Ottawa near Campconnell. Kirkwood area is better and more accesible from the side of the road - hope valley, Red Peak, and the lake; however, Bear has some good potential. In Bearvalley at the valley across from the town can of intermittant good wind; you have to buy a crosscountry pass to do this - $12 bucks after 3pm. Lake Alpine, which is an easy hike about a mile in from hwy 4 road closure is another good spot, but the lake is not frozen over yet. Lastly, there is a great ridge, that is North East of Bear valley, that is pretty open (lots of snow cover the small trees) and gets the same wind BearValley ridge gets which can be checked on the bearvalley.com website. However, this is a mile to a 1 1/2 mile high up hill. With some sweet planning you can ride all the way back down to the road after you climb up, kite and then board/ski back down. You'll need snowshoes or climbing skis or split board. Cheers.

Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:39 am

Thanks very much rlamb, now that's what I'm talkin' about! Is the XC area across from the lodge open to kites? I know you can buy an XC day-pass there but never thought it was "open" enough for kiting (or even allowed there.)

I had heard Lake Alpine was an option but was concerned about all the trees upwind of there causing poor conditions. I can definitely see trying that once it's frozen over though. Basically you just park at the snowmobile trail-head and snowshoe in?

Regarding the ridge you described: I think I've been there on my dirt bike but couldn't remember the best route once the snow falls. I do have snowshoes and would be willing to make the trudge up hill. Can you possibly suggest a route to that spot? Would you start from the access road that runs from Route 4 to the ski lifts? Any details are most appreciated and if you are ever heading up that way, give me a shout! BV opens 12/15 if the snow falls like they are predicting. Thanks again for the advice.

Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:53 am

x-country center told me they would allow them. The owner has a trainer and does it on the runway. Not sure what the will think after someone goes, so if you do it be kind.

Lake alpine should be good, the wind will usually come up from the damn and therefore should not have a problem with turbulence.

The ridge. access is from right where the turn off to the ski resort off hwy 4. Get a park pass and park on hwy 4 and walk up toward the ski resort. After passing over the "river" (150 yards) there is a place to hike up. Usually, this has tracks, if not it is not well marked and you will need help finding the best way, but with map you can do it. Basically follow up along the ridge to the top.

I should be going up the weekend before Christmas. Headed to Skyline on Friday.

Hope this helps.

Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:44 am

Post North Lake Tahoe Snowkite locations
Depending on the snow, here is the rundown of North Lake Tahoe/Truckee Locations.

Mt Rose Meadows at the top of Mt Rose Highway is usually the best wind as it is the highest. Literally right next to the road.
Go to the NOAA website and choose a tahoe zip code, from there you can check the remote sensors for wind speed and direction. Mt Rose is called Slide Mtn on that site.
Van Norden Meadows (needs a bit of snow) is right below Sugar Bowl and is a 5 minute hike from the road.
When its frozen, Prosser and Boca resevoirs are great.

If there is a strong wind, the Resort at Squaw Creek at the base of Squaw is also pretty good.

That's a good start. I can't let all the secret info out!
If you are in the area, come visit the store at 8645 North Lake Blvd, Suite 14.

We have a complete line of Ozone Access2 kites and the new Mystic Blazer harness for sale and demo.

http://www.tahoemountainsports.com

Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:02 pm

Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:54 am