It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:51 pm

Snowkiting School/Instruction Locations 
Post Snowkiting School/Instruction Locations
I was hoping to find out where the closest school/instructor to central Connecticut would be. Any help would be appreciated.

Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:01 pm
Post Re: Snowkiting School/Instruction Locations
There's some good ones here in vt. But I think Rhode Island might be closer- you want snow or water?

Keith
earthsurfing(at)yahoo

Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:48 pm
Have you gotten this DVD yet? I think that would be the best first step. I don't have this but I've heard that it is really good.

http://snowkiting.com/shop.html?page=sh ... 3&vmcchk=1

Also if you're in the North East here is a school that does snowkite lessons in North Conway, NH:

http://www.ime-usa.com/imcs/winter/snow_kite.html

Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:22 pm
I'm looking to learn on snow first, then maybe transition to water next summer. I just ordered that DVD last night. Thank you for the responses.

Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:02 pm
To be honest, I don't really think you need lessons to snowkite, depending on what type of kites you choose to fly, etc.

Have you got a trainer kite yet? That's the first thing you need. I'd recommend a 3m or so. I'm not sure what you have for local shops in your area. The best thing you can do to prepare for snowkiting is to get a trainer and spend as many hours flying it as you possibly can. This one is a nice option for a pretty great price and its sort of a local shop for you (NH):

http://www.powerlinesports.com/shop/pc/ ... roduct=582

Something like an Ozone Imp would be a nice option also for a little more $. A 3 or 4 line kite is nice to learn with because you can "reverse launch" it without assistance. If you have any shop in driving distance I would highly recommend supporting your local shop because they'll be your #1 resource while you are getting started. A lot of shops will give you an hour or so lesson on setting up the kite if you buy a new kite from them.

Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:25 pm
I ordered a Slingshot B3 trainer kite yesterday, and I noticed that there was an option for a "Ready Relaunch" additon to the kite. I haven't ordered the addition yet, but I thought it would be a wise investment seeing as I could relaunch and depower the kite as I wanted to. As far as loacal shops go, I think the closest one would be a couple of hours away. Maybe I'm lazy, but I found it a lot easier to order online. I can't wait to get the kite to an open field and just play around. One thing I didn't understand about the contents of the kite kit I ordered were the so called "Oh S*#!" handles as Slingshot describes them, and what their purpose is. Thanks Redcap for your advice.

Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:51 pm