It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:49 pm

training kite (for beginners) 

Post training kite (for beginners)
If you think that because you have ski and/or snowboard , sailing, and windsurfing experience, you can skip the trainer kite, I might suggest otherwise. I just flew my 3.0 meter trainer kite for the first time, and I now understand why they are highly recommended. This is not your grandma's kite. I not only have a fair amount of kite flying techniques to learn, there is NO way I would be able to take my eyes of the kite yet. I am however, feeling quite electrified just tasting that amount (however small) of POWER. I am looking forward to many hours of learning this kite before graduating to depower. This certainly is not boring, and besides, I am still waiting for snow. Get a trainer, you'll be glad you did; Thanks to all the great advice on this forum.

------> mdave

Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:59 pm

Post Re: training kite (for beginners)
mDave,
Thanks for sharing your experience. I know that I've been yarded by a trainer on many, many occasions. Even a 3M can be dangerous in high winds or an area with obsticles. My first snowkite experience (with a snowboard & kite) was with a 2M kite in 40 MPH winds.... I got dragged across an entire frozen golf course. The kite was zipping so quickly that I could barely keep it in the downwind part of the wind window for more than a few seconds. Trainers are well worth the purchase... Plus you can share them with friends when you move up to a larger kite.
-Eric

Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:40 pm