[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The Snowkiting Forum - View topic - Skis Vs. Snowboard
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:47 am

Skis Vs. Snowboard 

Post Skis Vs. Snowboard
Who rides skis and who rides snowboards here? Does Anyone ride both?

I'm interested to see what each group has to say about advantages and disadvantages when it comes to kiting. And also, we have some brand new people that want to learn either before they start kiting, so does anyone have a recomendation for them?

Lets hear it!

12m Slingshot Snow Ranger, Snowboard, Landboard

Cold's got nothin on this guy

Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:27 am

Post Re: Skis Vs. Snowboard
I'm a snowboarder... skated, surfed and rode wake my whole life when snowboarding came about it was the natural thing for me to gravitate to.
Where I ride, about 90-95% of the people snowkiting are on twin-tip skis! They are out on 6-9m kites when I'm on my 12m with my board. I think that skis offer a bit more balance for beginners unfamiliar with board-sports and they can use less kite too (a huge plus for a new kiter).
Ultimately, I think that riding a board is a true cross-over, but skis are a good way to get someone behind a kite and enjoying our sport quickly (with out having to learn how to snowboard and kite skills at the same time).
-Nate

Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:15 am

very nice. I see a good spread of snowboarders and skiers. Most of the people here snowboard, but its still about 3/4 board to 1/4 ski, or even thirds to the same majority.

I definitely see skiers with the high wind advantage. They have "independent suspension" on two edges to hold a line. If boards hit a bumb, its a skid downwind.

However I also see boarders with more pop ability than skiers thanks to the jumping stance

Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:28 pm

Hi all.

Regarding the world of kiting and using skis or snowboards....I am with the idea of either it is personal preference...or.....based on the terrain.

Many of the places that I seek to kite at are long (4) hour approaches, therefore AT skis and skins (Alpine Touring) is best as you can easily climb up hill using the skis as snowshoes, and then kite...then descend on skis! Last year I played with split boards and they are a great idea as well!

Snowboards for the classic ski area or where you need to carry the snowboard to hike up require (often) that you bring snowshoes for the deep snow...adding more gear and weight to carry on top of everything else!

SO..

I am on a Randonee (AT) set up most of the time...and repared to wakl or skin everywhere especially if the wind dies.

The snowboard is for me a great tool when I am near the car and the wind looks like it will be steady!

see you all out there!

Awesome!

Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:45 pm

Skis are easier to learn with but also for advanced as well.

I find I can hold a better edge (in crazy powered conditions), well double edge with skis, which can also give better pop jumping off flat terrain with little snow. If you already know how to ski it can be a blast! Also when it's a bit icy skis work great... Some snowboarders don't know how to ski and pass on those icy days...

Also for lighter winds skis are better. When I teach, it's easier to teach someone on skis.

On Skis here:

Snowboarding is the best match to the Kiteboarding feeling, carving and powder... But I switch back and forth all the time...

Snowboard here:

Great to be kiting either way!!

Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:32 am

ski's are also beter when there is not much snow. you can ride crusty and ice with out getting tiered. when there is pow-pow the board brings you back to the water feeling. also the more you board the easer it will be when you kite in the water,,my 2 cents

Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:40 am

I agree with sean, when its gusting pretty good out i find it hard to hold my line going across the field (i board). Everytime i hit a icy bump, i slide 3-4 feet downwind after trying to recover. Andy, one of the guys in our club, rides skis and he does circles around us when the winds are high.

Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:53 am

I ride a split most of the time and find it to be the best of both worlds. -the ability to get out, or skin back upwind, etc. Pop and symmetry, FLOAT in pow, etc.

If its really icy- I've had the most fun on skates.

Edit: I'd agree that unless someone is super comfortable on a board, skis are easier to learn to fly a kite with. Being able to walk, skate, step, etc...

Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:46 am

This forum is quite informative. I love Snow Boarding and very crazy about it.

http://www.snowboard101.com/

Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:38 am

I am quite good in snowboarding. It is easier for me to ride. It is like riding an ordinary skateboard in the streets. Some people say that it is just the same, but for me it is better.

Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:50 am