It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:50 am

practical substitute for lift 

Post practical substitute for lift
Hi there, where I live has a few lifts but they don't run all the time and there are only a few around, is using a kite a plausible alternative not to just go up hill and back down but to actually find a good spot and use the kite as an alternative to a poma lift? What I'm asking is if it's quick and easy to setup the kite for ascent and re pack it for descent, maybe there are other issues as well?

Also how cumbersome is all the equipment, is carrying it all and doing freestyle boarding on the descent a bit much of an ask? And one last thing, how low can the wind be to get up hill - nothing too steep?

Thanks

Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:21 am

Post Re: practical substitute for lift
Hey Optic. Many kiters use their kites to ascend mountains. Like you said the slope can't be too steep, but kites can actually tackle pretty decent grades uphill. Using a lift is obviously the faster and more convient way up a resort hill, but if you're using a kite it allows you to ride up instead of sit around.

Using a kite at a ski resort that doesn't have a designated kite area (which some do actually) will most likely bring the ski patrol out and tell you to quit it. The big advantage of having a kite is where there aren't any lifts and the mountain is more or less uninhabited. Many videos that you see on youtube of people in the middle of no where riding up and down mountains are all based on this idea.

For the gear, if you pack right it won't be too bad. Freestyle (park type stuff I assume you meant) might be somewhat hindered, but backcountry riding and mountain riding won't be hard at all (the bags look like medium sized mountain day packs). If you practice you can get setup and take down times to under 5 minutes. I can elaborate on those techniques if you like.

Finally, also consider that some riders will crank uphill and then glide from the mountain top to the bottom :). Now that's something you can't do everyday!

12m Slingshot Snow Ranger, Snowboard, Landboard

Cold's got nothin on this guy

Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:51 am

Hi Matt

Thanks for the info, as I thought it's probably more suited to downhill which still sounds like a lot of fun. I live right under a range of hills that get snow but have no lifts at all, I'm trying to figure out the best way to make a makeshift park area and get up and down without an installed lift, maybe there is another alternative?

I will still probably look into kite skiing for downhill though, do you have any recommendations for an entry level kite, preferably not too expensive.

Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:54 am

hey optik,

Let me make sure I got the right message across... If you have wind at the range your at and its pretty constant and at least somewhat stiff, then a kite might be the way for you. You mentioned kiting in association with downhill. I want to clarify that kiting is used the most on flat ground (usually just because a lack of terrain) but if there is good terrain present, then good amounts up and downhill are usually the case (conditions permitting). If you have a nice range and no lifts, kiting might be the perfect answer. So if i sent the message that kiting is used with downhill the best, thats not the case! Kiting can be used on all terrain.

Send me some more details on wind speeds (if you have them) and the grade of the range your at (use some kind of benchmark i guess, highway off ramp steep, stairway steep, etc). that way i can tell you if kiting is right for you and what size/type kite.

Thanks and I look forward to it!
Matt

12m Slingshot Snow Ranger, Snowboard, Landboard

Cold's got nothin on this guy

Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:27 pm