[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The Snowkiting Forum - View topic - Snowkite in Sioux Falls area
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:39 pm

Snowkite in Sioux Falls area 

Post Snowkite in Sioux Falls area
Hi everyone!
I just moved to Sioux Falls, SD and would like to snowkite around here, but I don't know anyone who kiteboard in the area. I am willing to travel short distance for a session. Anyone leave close by down for a session around Sioux Falls? Just give me a Howdy.
Peace!

Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:31 pm

Post Re: Snowkite in Sioux Falls area
Hey there!

We aren't in the sioux falls area, but we are in Grand forks, ND. If you ever make a trip up here for any reason, give me a shout and the club will have a snowkite day

Matt

12m Slingshot Snow Ranger, Snowboard, Landboard

Cold's got nothin on this guy

Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:22 pm

Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:42 pm

Any one have any ideas for public land around Sioux Falls. If I go up there, I would rather not spend a day getting permission to kite in a field.

According to the US snow cover map, the lakes a little north of Sioux Falls are a out of the heavy snowfall area. Worthington, MN and Spirit Lake, IA look a little better but I think they may have received some of that freezing rain. And I am just not a fan of skis, at least not yet.

http://www.intellicast.com/Travel/Weath ... Cover.aspx

Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:44 am

Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:03 pm

Sure thing, I am the President of the UND Snowkite Club (there is a link in my signature). We are a collegiate club with the University of North Dakota that trains and brings kiters together for some good times. We have about 35-40 paying members, and about 25 of those have their own kite gear. The last few are the trainees. We also have a facebook group too.

I moderate this forum part-time in return for snowkiting.com to host our website. If you have any questions about kiting let me know, we have a ton of people with alot of answers

Ride on,

Matt

12m Slingshot Snow Ranger, Snowboard, Landboard

Cold's got nothin on this guy

Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:32 am

Hey guys!

Is anyone still riding in the Sioux Falls area? I've been snowboarding for a while and want to get into snowkiting but I'm looking for someone around this area that can provide a little advice.

Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:04 pm

You are definitely in a good spot for snowkiting. Of course this year has been exceptionally bad for snowcover and ice thickness, but now things are starting to shape up a bit.

Locally, you have Wall lake that I have been on once. There are almost always hayfields that the owners would most likely give you permission to use also (great place to trainer kite). Then you have Madison, SD a little further north that has some non-kiting iceboat sailors who are usually good for info on wind and ice conditions. The same can be said about Worthington, MN. Plus, lots of good windsurfers with houses on the lake that are very welcoming. And once you get good on the flat, you should check out the Lake Benton, MN area for some of the best terrain in the Midwest. Again, still waiting on snow this year.

For professional instruction, I would suggest getting on the LAKAWA forum based out of Minneapolis, MN. Minneapolis is the current hub for upper Midwest snowkiting. All of the knowledge and instruction you could ever want can easily be found there.

To start out, and you will hear this from everyone, you need to score your own trainer kite. No instructor can give you the instinctual feel for kiting that personal time on a good trainer kite can. But you should never use a trainer kite in above 15mph winds in the beginning.

Once you have trainer kite skills and a lesson or two, you can graduate on to purchasing your own medium size depower kite and can begin to enjoy the sport on your own and possibly even catch a little air. But even a trainer kite can be challenge enough to keep you interested and may get you up and going on a snowboard. So don't worry too much about getting a big kite early on.

I will post here next time I am up in the area and you are welcome to come out and fly one of my trainer kites if the wind is right. I am also sure there is at least one other kiter locally Sioux Falls area that does snow too.

Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:37 pm

Awesome!! Thanks!!

Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:36 am

I am thinking about heading up to the Sioux Falls area and possibly hitting Wall lake on this Saturday.

Any one else?

Snow and Ice conditions?

Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:38 pm

Hello. I am a certified IKO (International Kiteboarding Organization) Kiteboarding Instructor and I will be in the Sioux Falls area during the first part of April and conducting a clinic of snow/land kiteboarding lessons (All kiting equipment will be provided). If anyone is interested in signing up to get on the student roster for this clinic please PM me with your contact information.

Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:51 am

GBK,

Where do you plan on teaching on the water?

Cost?

Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:18 pm

Hello Matt V and jaskorhov213,

Sorry that I haven't responded sooner but I thought this forum platform would alert me when there was action on this post as I requested it to, but it seems it had failed to.

Anyway, I will be in Sioux Falls operating a kiteboarding clinic during the first week and weekend of April. (April 3rd - 9th)

@ Matt V: we will not be offering water lessons this early in the season (the water is too cold for beginners to tread water in, although the air temps look inviting to wade in the water will not be and beginner spend the majority of the time in the water, and later on top!) there in the Sioux Falls area. My previous post stated "conducting a clinic of snow/land kiteboarding lessons (All kiting equipment will be provided)" and as a adept snowkiter as you may be, the offered lessons course will not be of much value. We take students with basic or no knowledge of the sport and guide them to be independent, safe and knowledgeable kiters first on land or snow. Both the snow and land course are very similar in content, the difference being using skis/snowboard for snow and using a mountain board for land-kiting. Of course, now that I see the current forecast (warm weather) we will be offering land-kiting lessons as there is no snow nor will there be (until potentially after the WE of the 7th&8th...as per the current long range forecast for the area)

@ jaskoruv213: There is more information regarding the courses we offer, including prices, etc., on our website: G l o r y K i t e. c o m
If you feel that you would like to get into this amazing sport quickly and safely and so decide that you wish to take lessons with us (certified instructor with 5 years exp. and loves teaching) that week/weekend please get on the current student roster by signing up for lessons on our website.

The snow and the land courses are prerequisite courses to our water kiteboarding courses as they assist a student develop quickly and with confidence with the proper "sailing"/kiting skills while not having to tread water too early. A students' overall progression in this sport is accelerated in this approach as snow/land kiting are excellent stepping stones before entering the water (where learning progression can be halted due stress/gulping water/etc)

For further information, please first see the information provided website and then follow to contact me either via the website sign-up form or the contact page - I do not wish to miss anymore potential messages via this forum platform as I have previously, which I apologize for again for this late reply to you.

Best regards,

Pat

Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:53 am

I love sioux falls!!! I wish I can go back there.

Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:04 pm

This is such a good place.:))

Last edited by cooneyhilbert on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:26 pm