[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The Snowkiting Forum - View topic - Snowboard Slushkiting
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:17 am

Snowboard Slushkiting 

Post Snowboard Slushkiting
A local infamous ex-windsurfer turned (water) kiteboarder talked me into heading out on the flats again since he did not have much experience with a snowboard. I had kited some melting snow on terrain in the morning, then he called to get me to try it on the lake with him. Long story short, I have fallen in love with late season lake snowboard slushkiting.

The ice was still over 12 inches and the sun was melting the top 2 inches of snow into a watery slush. I could really power up and then turn the board sideways and throw a slushy spray 20 feet to the side. I kind of felt like a 2-year-old in a bathtub splashing around. Other than playing around, I learned to keep the edge hooked up on rough bare ice almost better than I can on good snow. The speeds were awesome.

After that, I went out 3 more days on the slush. I even think I planed on a 5inch deep pool of water on Saturday. Yesterday I was concerned about the ice thickness so I drilled some holes to check the thickness. What my ice fishing auger showed me was not too impressive, but it was thick enough support my weight. I also decided to put on my 5-4-3 with a life jacket. I had fun but the water on top of the ice would fall through the cracking 9 inches of ice so there was not much side-spaying. But still fun.

Today, it was game over. The rain ruined the ice at the shore line. There is probably still good ice in the middle of the lakes, but you cannot get there without a swim.

I think I am up for heading up north to do some late season snowboard slushkiting. Any one else a fan?

Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:07 pm

Post Re: Snowboard Slushkiting
I like hitting the soft stuff for sure. We don't have many lakes directly around us so our slush kiting is like super heavy, water saturated snowkiting. Its nice and thick and really easy to hold an edge on. And it turns the whole field into a foam pit so you can try anything!

Yes i am a fan for sure. I wish I didn't have so much going on before spring break or i'd be out there right now!

12m Slingshot Snow Ranger, Snowboard, Landboard

Cold's got nothin on this guy

Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:44 am

fersure!

I'm a recent transplant from jackson, WY to kirksville, MO and I've been trying ot figure out ways to put my ski gear to use... I flew a trainer with a friend out there once, then he sent me a 13m REV to play with. I've been scared to death of it, but finally sacked up and got it in the air and put skis on my feet. The most fun I've had in a loooong time!

Only downside is that it's been hitting 50 degrees in the day here, and there is only 4inches of soft ice left... Yesterday was good, but I went out today and I had a puddle of water that followed me everywhere I went, cause the ice was just kind of sinking around me, so I GTFO and I think my snowkiting is done here.

If anyone's got any good ideas for snow/land/water kiting around MO, IA, or anywhere else, give me a shout, I can drive!

Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:52 pm

Man, I thought that I lived on the southern edge of where it would pay to have a foil kite. You have got a long drive to go anywhere. I am in Omaha, NE and I am looking at taking a drive up to Waubay, SD in north eastern part of the state. Intellicast says they still have 24+ inches of snow on the ground. http://www.intellicast.com/Travel/Weath ... Cover.aspx

Spirit Lake, IA may be an option for you but it would still be a long drive. I have a contact near there in Worthington, MN (30min away) that could check on the ice conditions. But I think some rain just went through there, as it did or is going to right now.

13m on skis? That is huge unless you have too small of skis in deep powder. Though I snowboard nearly exclusively, my friend skis exclusively. He is convinced that my 12.5 Montana V is to much power to be usable in anything over 12mph for him. But he has only used it in under 12mph.

PM me if you are interested in going to Spirit Lake.

Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:50 am

Hah, yea the 13m has plenty of power, but im dealing with 5-10mph winds most of the time, gusts to 15. I am still too scared to try it in steady 15mph, mainly because i have to self launch. Also, the REV is an SLE/LEI kite, so I'll be able to have some fun in the summer too ;). I'm looking a picking up a 7m of the same kite to use as more of a large trainer & high wind kite. (you also have to consider that I weigh 210 lbs)

Spirit Lake sounds awesome... If you can get verification that the ice is thick enough, and that the surface is something other than sheer ice, I might be in!

Let me know,

Josh

Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:29 am

I am a shortboarder and love to be on the rideable surf everyday, with commitment and determination you will learn to surf on the shortboard. it will take longer to get to the standup &turn level but you will have developed way better wave reading skills and progress much much faster from that point on.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:57 am

Lib Tech makes really good boards. I love riding them.
Ride makes some pretty good gear too. I wouldn't buy Ride bindings though. My friend and I both have them, and we both have the same problem with the toe strap popping off upon a big impact. But if you don't jump, it shouldn't be a problem. Ride also has some fun boards.

Fri May 21, 2010 12:49 am