It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:52 am

anyone still getting out on the boards or skis? 

Post anyone still getting out on the boards or skis?
Our season I've heard has ended in North Dakota (im on break right now), but i was wondering if anyone still is, or has year round snowkite seasons?

Feel free to disclose the secret locations to :P

12m Slingshot Snow Ranger, Snowboard, Landboard

Cold's got nothin on this guy

Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:53 pm

Post Re: anyone still getting out on the boards or skis?
I am headed up north to north eastern South Dakota around Waubay or so. Hoping to do some more snowboard slush kiting on the ice. The wetsuit will most likely go with a life jacket.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:06 pm

Post Re: anyone still getting out on the boards or skis?
I am up at Watertown, SD right now. I kited in the rain on Lake Kampeska for about 2.5 hours late today. I stayed until the one ice fisherman on the lake headed in at about 8:15pm. I drilled the ice near the shore with my auger and found anywhere from 20-24" of good ice. The ice fisherman was about 300yards out and was fishing on 16-18" of ice. I did board over some spots that looked a little iffy. One was where an ice house was set. It was getting some what dark at that point but it looked only to be about 6" or so.

I did chicken out on the 5-4-3 wetsuit and instead, went straight to the 5mm dry suit with "Sealz-Skinz(sp)" socks duct taped on. The water at the shore was only about 2.5feet deep so I had no problem negotiating it. The ice was decently rough in most places to slow down when I needed to. But it was bumpy rough in others. I hope we get some more snow, or I would even love some slush.

Update: I have bailed. The rain we got turned the ice to rough glare ice and the cold froze all of the slush. I messed around with my 6m in 8-10mph of wind and had no fun. I never fell on the hard stuff, but I am heading home. I need to build an ice-buggy for these conditions. But the Big Sioux is about to flood the parking lot here at the lake so I am out. It's mountain board time - at least until windsurfing.

Attachments:
0320101328a.jpg
0320101328a.jpg [ 61.16 KiB | Viewed 7697 times ]
0320101328.jpg
0320101328.jpg [ 47.59 KiB | Viewed 7695 times ]
Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:32 pm