[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The Snowkiting Forum - View topic - Gettin WAXED!!
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:46 pm

Gettin WAXED!! 

Post Gettin WAXED!!
Hey guys,

Gotta question, What wax do you use and how do you like it?

I usually just use an all temp wax, But wonder if i had a more specific wax to the temps and snow conditions if it would last longer or perform better. Sometimes in light wind this will make all the difference. Scrapping and buffing would be good too. I'll be in such a rush that i just iron the wax on and rush out the door. (the wind waits for no man)

Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:49 am

Post Re: Gettin WAXED!!
Due to the crazy temps we get here i use onebaljay 4 wheel wax (i think its called). Its for temps under 17 degrees which is pretty much everyday when we are in the middle of our season so it works out pretty well. Even on the warm days i didn't notice any dragging or sticking at all. Im not a wax pro but the stuff works fine for my needs

12m Slingshot Snow Ranger, Snowboard, Landboard

Cold's got nothin on this guy

Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:15 pm

This year I bought all the tuning equipment a person could need for skis and snowboards. I still would like to find a sander, though.

I purchased all of my tools from RaceWax.com and I am very pleased with their prices. Since I live on the southern edge of where it pays to have a foil kite, I use the all temp hydrocarbon that is the RaceWax.com house brand. I also use the warm stuff for late season. The warm stuff is really good for cleaning your base, as per RaceWax.com's recommendation. In addition to the wax, I love their steel brush. It is not as good as sanding, but I think it extended the life of my heel side edge past the middle of the season.

Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:58 pm

do you have any good brand of wax? I have used some very bad wax and been really effected badly ..can anyone suggest any good brand or name of wax?

Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:16 am

I hate to say it, but wax is wax. I do not have any experience with Fluorocarbon because that junk is really expensive. I just use the cheap hydrocarbon wax since snow kiting is going to pretty much rip off anything you put on your base and you will be waxing every night if you really care about it. Just be sure to follow the specs and understand that a trashed base will not hold wax anyway.

Or you can say screw it and let your base get trashed and just power the kite up a little more and change your style to account for the additional drag.

Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:18 pm

I was trained by one of the Swix/Fischer world-cup technicians and work on a lot of skis/boards for a major chain...

One Ball Jay is great stuff and Temple and Matt Cummins are really cool guys to support too!
Fluoro-Carbon waxes are expensive but last twice as long as Hydro-Carbon waxes and have a much more efficient glide.
I wouldn't waste too much money on waxes though... most kiters are just sliding on their heel-sides which will cause enough abrasion and heat to wear off any wax.
My recommendation is to find "CH-3 Cold Powder" by Swix. You want to wax your stick as usual then add the cold powder to the high abrasion areas to build resistance (iron in and let cool to room temp per usual)... it wouldn't be a bad idea to add molybdenum or graphite to the mix either (depends on how techy you want to get).

-Nate

Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:58 pm

Good advice from Nate there.

Keep in mind that whatever wax you use, if you don't have a carbon sintered base it's not going to stay on for long.

I use an extreme cold wax first and hot box (keep it in a warm area for a while) it to get it absorbed deep into the base (sintered) and then scrape the excess off and wax with whatever is appropriate for the session. The extreme cold wax will harden the base and slow down the abrassion process a little as well as harden the base for rocks and stuff. Tends to dent the base instead of ripping core shots.

Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:35 am