It is currently Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:38 pm

Mystic Snowkite harness 

Post Mystic Snowkite harness
The new Mystic Blazer snowkite harness featured on the Snowkiting Home Page looks interesting. I've been using my climbing harness, but I find the narrow waist band and thin padding gets progressively uncomfortable as the day goes on. But I also noticed the description makes reference to "thinner" padding, so maybe this harness won't address my concern? I was confused by the reference to wearing the harness under clothing (and to "snowkite jackets" with holes for hooks and pass through leashes). I wear my harness over my snow gear -- is there a performance/function-related reason to wear it under the clothing? Or do riders wear harnesses underneath because they don't fit over bulky cold weather gear?

I went looking for more info on the Blazer, but the Mystic website doesn't list the harness (or anything related to snowkiting). Does anyone know when/whether it will come out this season, and at what price?

jim

Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:47 am

sure here is the deal.by wearing a harness OVER your clothing you get the famous ride up syndrome that allows snow to gather, collect, and mealt into little ice balls, that stick to the back and get in the crack if you konw what I mean....the Wildthings Snow kite jacket solves this by having the harness be it the Mystic, a climbing harness, or a standard kiting harness.....UNDER the jacket letting the jakcet do what a jacket it supposed to do,....SEAL OUT THE weather!!!!!!!!!
.good luck with kiting in the snow!

Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:01 pm

Post Mystic Blazer harness available by end of October

Folks,
I am stoked to anounce that we will have the Blazer harness in stock by end of October. There is a limited stock arriving in the US so pre-orders will make a lot of sense. We have a couple of samples of this harness in our hands and we can answer questions if you have any.
For more info you can click below:
BLAZER HARNESS

See you on the snow,

Evan - Live2kite
http://www.live2kite.com
info@live2kite.com

Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:58 am
Post Kite Jacket
Kayakman,

It looks like Crabnebula & Live2Kite.com have given some information about the snowkite jacket & harness (I think the price was around $150 US). I'm just going to add what I know.

As for the snowkite jackets. Exactly as you said, they have a hole or "port" to allow the kite hook (and maybe a leash) to exit the jacket. There are two that I know of on the market. One is the Ultranectar Snowkite Jacket (http://www.ultranectar.com/mens_winter_2005.html) and the other is the Wild Things Snowkite Jacket, which I reviewed last season: (http://snowkiting.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=46). I've heard that they might be coming out with a new version this year.

As for the padding, it looks like the Blazer has plenty of padding, but I don't think it is designed to be buoyant like a kitesurf harness... someone correct me if I'm wrong because I haven't used the Blazer yet.

Now a question for Live2Kite... you guys are selling this Blazer, have you gotten a chance to use it yet? If so: Is it re-enforced with 360 degrees of webbing like a climbing harness? How does it distribute your weight?

Thanks,
Eric

Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:53 am

Post Mystic Blazer Snowkiting harness is HERE

We are delighted to anounce that the Mystic Blazer harnesses have just arrived in our warehouse.

We have a small number of both the waist and the seat so if you are interested in the first ever snowkiting specific harness now is your chance before they all go.

Cheers to all,

Live2kite LLC
San Francisco, CA
info@live2kite.com
http://www.live2kite.com

Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:56 pm

Got the Blazer with leg loops. Honestly I expected more from this harness. The leg loops are not comfortable at all, the way they are made they tend to ride up and the extra wide padding starts to get into you know what guys have. Maybe I should've gotten the smaller size (I got the large one), but there was no size reference on the live2kite site as what is a large, what is medium so on, so I guessed I will need a large one to wear over my clothes. Also the quality of the harness isn't too good, one of the threads was loose so I pulled on it and it came out as a whole thing, it wasn't threaded through the fabric real good.

Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:19 pm

Oh Oh! Got this coming in the mail and I ordered large thinking the same thing about over the clothing. Acc to Evan at live2kite med is 32-34, large is 34-36. He told me to get lg if over clothes and med if under - I am 33" waist. I measured myself with full winter gear on and the meas was 38". 36" if I tightened meas tape around everything. I will report back...

As far as quality goes it better show the extensive RandD that Mystic apparently devoted to snow kiters needs. With shipping it was close to $190 USD

Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:23 pm

markchatwin, I think we're about the same size waistwise. Large fits nicely over the clothing (the waist part of the harness), but the leg loops is what worries me. The padding is too wide for my liking. Please report what you think when you get it and use it a couple of times, maybe it's just me. Mine came to $210 with shipping to AK.

Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:40 pm

I unfortunately will not use the Blazer Harness in case I have to return it. I'll know if it's for me simply by putting it on. Next week when the harness gets here a friend is coming over with his size medium Ocean Rodeo Session Harness and I plan to compare them. I'm hoping the Mystic is what I am looking for since if I send it back I eat the shipping charges. I'll repoprt back middle of next week...

Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:56 pm

I have the Blazer with legloops, but I have not used it yet. It seems the fit is good for me (size S & wearing under jacket), with no pressure points. The legloops are wider than my climbing harness and feel as though they will distribute the load better... they don't seem uncomfortable so far. I'll get back with my personal review asap!

I'm considering using the Blazer waist-only harness paired with Mammut's AlpineLight harness (same design, but lighter than BlackDiamond's AlpineBod) - http://www.mammut.ch/mammut/katalog.asp ... 4465&sid=2

I've already tried this set-up with the Blazer seat model and find it to be an awesome compliment. For those looking for a "back-up harness" this is THE perfect set-up!

Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:21 pm

I'm sitting at the computer with this Large Mystic Blazer Harness w/leg straps on. I will at times reflect it's comparison to the Ocean Rodeo Session Harness Medium which a buddy left with me last night to play with. First off I've a good impression of the Mystic harness. I'm a 33" waist and I bought a large (34-36) size - specs acc to Live2kite. If I just wore it over my clothes I have to have it cinched down all the way around waist with no more room for adjustment so therefore if I wear under winter coat I'd get medium. If I wore over coat I'd stay large. Not sure what I will do yet. The legs have a huge adjustment in thigh width so that isn't a problem. The nylon seat belt-like connection from harness to leg straps in back seems to be the right distance but it is not adjustable so a try on is a must. The Ocean Rodeo leg straps are adjustable both ways - thigh circumference and distance from harness to leg straps.

The famed Mystic leg straps are wider than the OR and do find their way to the very corner of my being close to my "money" parts. I think with proper attention to getting the creases out of your long underwear, bibs, whatever, will result in a smooth and quite snug "down there" ride. Especially, and I'm serious, with proper jock strap-like support.

If you measure the spreader bar with a soft tape following the curve it is almost 13" end to end. The OR is about 12". The Mystic bar is less curved and provides a firm sort of straight across feel. The hook protrudes out further than OR at about 3". The OR is 2". This is significant and I believe will affect certain things like getting hooked in and out. Since I have not snowkited yet I cannot comment on the effect but my gut is the Mystic wins here. The spreader bar pad is solid and what you'd expect, same for OR but OR there are velcro straps holding bar in and bar can be removed. The Mystic bar is sewed into pad permanently so if you want a different spreader bar you'd have to get new pad and bar.

On Mystic all adjustment nylon straps are solid, they cinch well, and the best part of the Blazer is a 1 1/2" wide strap that keenly starts at top of right leg strap and is long enough to thread up and over spreader bar and pad and go back down through waist cinch and strap into top of left leg strap. This holds the spreader bar nice and low. A feature I believe is awesome since I hate when the harness rides up on you. I assume this is what the strap is for but it came with no instructions so I'm guessing and find nothing else I can do with it. Maybe another user can comment on this strap and it's proper use.

The Mystic back support is about the same firmness as the OR but the Mystic is only 8" wide at the middle back whereas the OR is about 12". Around the sides the Mystic is 4" and the OR is about 8". So clearly there is a design philosophy difference. The Mystic seems to fit neatly between that gap between one's hip bone and rib cage. And whereas the back support is less wide the leg straps firm things up.

On to the Ocean Rodeo. The medium fits fine if I wear under coat and if I wear over there is a larger window of adjustability on the waist cinch so I suspect it will work fine. Leg straps are adjustable as I said above in both thigh circumference and distance from harness to top of leg strap. The biggest difference is in the overall feel. With a larger back support you really feel this thing on you. Especially around the sides. The bottom of my rib cage is being hit by the rigid sides. Whether this is good or bad is figured out while actually riding for a few hours. It doesn't bother me and I feel like I'm wearing a big back brace and it is quite supportive.

The way the leg straps keep in place under your butt are by a two thin bungee-like attachments that connect the lower harness, dead middle of your lower back, to the leg straps under your butt cheeks. So the effect is the leg straps fit tight behind you and are tight or loose via the side adjustors. Kind of a two point connection. In the croth it feels better than the Mystic in that it is a thinner strap and the angle of attack is different.

The various nylon seat belt-like adjustors on the OR are shorter and are not hanging out every which way like The Mystic. Not a big deal but time will be spent tucking away the straps on the Mystic.

The OR has a pull pin for safety located on the left side that releases the plastic tubular line that I assume is for a leash line that would come from your kite or bar. Nice safety feature if you wear it over your winter coat. The Mystic comes with a leash line that I assume connects to your bar or brake lines. Not sure what exactly it is for but it must be a safety device.

All in all I'm torn and will report back after a few days of trying on and wearing around house...

Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:02 pm

Tip - if you have an REI or a climbing gym near you, go there and ask to use their climbing harness tester (hanging rope with biner) and just hang for 5 minutes in the Blazer. This will allow a more realistic way to see if this harness will work for you. It will allow you to identify any problems right there in the store/gym and address them on the spot.

Some thoughts in response to your review...

If you're riding unhooked then the leash on the Blazer is correct. The leash also has a quick release break-away right near where it attaches to the hook... this achieves the same affect as using the quick release on the OR Session harness.

The reason the hook is 3 inches is to accomodate the many kiters wearing their harnesses under their jackets or with kite specific jackets. The extra lenth also makes it easier to hook/unhook in... this is especially nice when you're wearing gloves!

You are correct about that strap being used to hold the s-bar down... that's a key feature on most Mystic harneses! Below is a link to a Swiss website that sells the Blazer. Scroll to the very bottom of the page and you can see a front and back view picture of the Blazer that's poor quality, but it does show how the s-bar stap should look.

http://www.snowkiting.ch/index.php?site ... cf88f930fe

I have the OR harness as well, but I'm now using the Warrior waist/seat instead (for water). I realy like the OR design, but the Mystic offered the same benifits as the OR and was way more comfortable. The Warrior also has that s-bar strap that further helpes reduce any harness ride-up.

You might try the Warrior or the Dragon Shield waist/seat models instead of the Blazer if you can't get it to work.

P.S. I rep Mystic here in CA, so if anyone has some questions, just PM me and I'll try to help.

Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:17 pm

Post Blazer review
Thanks to Yoda and Markchatwin for their thoughts on the Mystic Blazer harness. Here's my experience so far:

I initially bought the XL on dealer recommendation when I said my waist was a 35 (my jeans size). The XL was way too big, maybe because I dropped some weight last year, or maybe because Mystic's sizing seems to run big. I exchanged the XL for a Large, which is still bigger than I'd prefer even wearing it over a jacket. If you are a 34 waist, I would recommend a Medium even if you plan to wear it over a jacket.

I also was troubled by the lack of instructions with the harness, especially for the so-called "spreader bar down system" strap. Evan at Live2Kite responded to my email, trying to describe its proper setup, but as Yoda's post (and link to a terrible photo) showed, it's tough to describe without a good pic or drawing.

My first time out I threaded the down strap from the right leg loop up through the kite hook and back down to the left leg loop. The wind was a gusty 25mph, which took my 10m Frenzy for a ride and jammed the spreader bar up into my diaphragm and lifted my jacket way up (I wore the harness under my jacket this first time). After cranking the leg loop straps and down system strap down as hard as I could, the spreader bar rode up somewhat less, but also put enough pressure on the waist belt to cause light bruising on my hip bones after less than an hour ride.

The second time out I wore the harness over the jacket, and ran the down strap over the kite hook (instead of through it), and cranked it and the waist down hard. In 16mph winds the bar rode up much less, though still more than I would like. (I should mention that I learned to snowkite with a rock climbing harness and have never used a kiteboarding harness, so I'm used to the waist belt staying low and the pull force being distributed evenly between the waist and leg loops. Also, I use skis and not a snowboard, so my orientation to the kite is sideways rather than facing it.)

With the additional padding of the jacket, the pressure on my hips was more comfortable, though still present and somewhat distracting. The back band is really comfortable though, and I imagine snowboard riders would love leaning back into it; for skiers, more pressure rides on the hips rather than the back.

With my buddies all off in western North Dakota attempting to cross the state with kites (see http://www.2xtm.com), I had no one to bounce ideas off, and decided this harness may not be right for me. Unfortunately, Live2Kite told me they won't take returns of gear that has been used, so Markchatwin's decision not to use it until he's certain he likes it was a good one (unfortunately, I'm not sure how he'll figure that out without riding it). Yoda's idea about hanging from it at a rock climbing gym (or from the garage rafters) is also good, though I don't think that will fully simulate the upward jerk of a wind gust.

I'm still trying to decide whether to post an ad here trying to sell the harness, or keep trying to refine the strap system. I didn't find the leg loops to be uncomfortable as Russiarulez did; the down strap seems to be to be the problem, I think because its attachment points are too far to the outside of the leg loops. One thought I had yesterday to address that was to wrap the strap around the leg loops to move the tension points inward toward the crotch.

(Here we go again with the hard textual description...)
So, from its attachment point on the outside of the right leg loop, I took the strap down toward the right foot, back up and UNDER the right leg loop, then up and over the kite hook. Then down toward the left foot, back up and UNDER the left leg loop and into the ladder lock buckle on the outside of the left leg loop.

I haven't tried it outside or in the garage, but that threading moves the points of tension in toward the crotch about 3 inches on either side, which I think (hope) will help keep the bar down more effectively. The only downside I saw so far was that the left leg loop strap wanted to curl (instead of stay flat) when I cinched the down strap tight.

If Yoda or anyone who knows how Mystic intended the down strap to be used would post a description, it would be greatly appreciated. It will be interesting to see if next year Mystic moves the down strap attachments in and the leg loop buckles out, which I think could solve the problem.

In all other respects, I thought the Blazer was well made. I think snowboarders will like it better than skiers, but I'm hopeful for some replies here that may address my concerns.

Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:45 pm

I've been using the blazer with leg loops for about 3 months (say around 20 good sessions) on my mountainboard and skiis, and I love it. I have a large and wear it over my pants or snow pants and under my coat (33" waist) with the hold down strap run through the loop on the waist cumberbun strap (under the spreader bar/bar pad) cynched down as tight as possible. This has been working well for me, it allows the bar to flex up and down but keeps the harness low where it's comfortable. I agree instructions for set up would have been nice.

Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:16 pm