It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:37 am

Learning to snow kite 

Post Learning to snow kite
Hi
I am looking at taking up snow kiting and would like some advice!I am a good snow boarder and sail so understand both snow and wind.
I have a rock climbing harness is this ok?
What type of kite do i need - I weigh about 70kgs
is it worth getting one that can be used on water? I dont really subscribe to the theory of buying beginers kit and trading up but would rather buy something that may be a little trickier to learn on but will not need changing!
Anyones help is appreciated!
David UK

Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:08 am

Post Re: Learning to snow kite
I think that you will probably pick the sport up very quickly, but here is my recommendation:
Get a 3.5-5m foil to start with and fly the snot outta that thing. Get a kite specific harness and a training video (how to snow kite... available on this site) and it would be very valuable to take a lesson too.
As far as LEI vrs Foil its a tough call (preference)... do you plan on using the gear in the water too? If so I think its an easy call: LEI, it'll work great for both purposes. Foils, on the other hand are light, efficient (fly in the lightest winds), pack up easily, are pretty much invincible and dis-arm super easy. I like LEI's because I never have to sort my kite's bridles out if I crash it... and that is no fun in waist-deep powder.
I definitely think Foils have a lot of advantages, and if you can afford a few kites, you should have a Foil in your quiver.

Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:22 am

I wanted to skip the beginners kite too, but my trusted online retailer (Kitemare.com) steered me away from making a decision that could have ended my participation in the sport. I was given the advice to get a non-depower foil kite that was big enough to hurt, but not kill me. At my heavy weight (over 200lbs), that turned out to be a 4m HQ Scout that I still use today for mountain board riding. It is just big enough to get me going (ground start) but not enough to keep me going on a snowboard in the winds I consider sane to kite in.

Sometimes I wish I would have got a trainer kite instead, since most of my friends are too small to even think of starting out on a 4m kite. But over all, I am happy having this "too small to snowboard" kite.

After learning that kite, I moved up slightly to a 6m Ozone "Access" XT. Even with my weight, this kite will beat you up pretty bad for being inexperienced (without an instructor). But this is one of my most valuable kites for top end wind speeds now.

Over all, I would suggest listening to the "safety first" advice that you will be getting regarding kiting.

As far as the rock climbing harness - that is pretty much what the Ozone "Access" harness is and I love it. But I do like the spreader bar feeling though I do not yet jump unhooked.

Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:43 pm

Thanks guys for your advice - I will ley you know how I get on!
Cheers
David

Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:21 am