It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:01 am

Snowkiting equipment 

Post Snowkiting equipment
Hi there,

Im looking to start snowkiting, and I have been researching the pure in a box by ozone.

I'm 21, 5'9ish and weigh 9 stone/126lbs.

I was wondering if a 4m would be a big enough kite for me, and wether or not I would have to invest in a new kite when I improve, or with being a small frame a 4m would do me in good stead for a while. Or would buying a more advanced foil kite or LEI kite would be a sounder investment. (I wouldn't really be using it in water for kitesurfing, but if i wanted i could still use a foil one right?)

For the foil vs LEI decision, I hear the only disadvantage against foil depowerables is that if you crash you have to untangle the lines? Is untangling the lines that much of a ballache, or is it just a little minor annoyance?

Thanks in advance. :D

Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:07 am

Post Re: Snowkiting equipment
Forgot to add that I'm a boarder.

Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:04 am

You may need a bigger kite than a 4m, but it depends on how much wind your area receives and whether you plan on using board or skis. 120lbs person, on skis, in wind of 20-25mph could easily use a 4m to scoot along... but might have more fun with a 6-8m kite. That same person with a board may require a 8-12m kite.
Foil kites are great, and they only become a hassle when the wind is turbulent and the kite kinda twists around a bridle line (gets tangled) when it crashes... this does not happen all of the time! When it does happen though... ANNOYING!!! It happened to me once in waist-deep powder, and I had to trudge through the snow, up to my kite, get everything straightened out , then make my way back to the bar. In short, I was swearing a lot, and wished I would have just used my LEI that day. I use both LEI's and Foils. I think they both have advantages and disadvantages... You kinda have to weigh those options your self.
Personally, I feel that a 4m is a great 'trainer' size kite, and you'll probably want a bigger kite in addition to that 4m. I have seen a couple 'water-relaunch' foils, but I only use my LEIs on the water.
Hope that helps a little bit. I know I didn't give you a definitive answer... but honestly, there isn't one!

Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:06 am

Thanks for your reply.

http://www.24-7boardsports.com/products ... -kite.html

I've been looking at that, and the ozone pure.

Im pretty small, so I suppose I could get the pure 4m as I get everything i need to start me on my way to learn and get started, then move onto the 7m and maybe sell the 4m if when i impove i feel its not big enough.

Think I'll go with the foil, as they seem easier to set up etc.

I've seen people say LEI's are better for tricks and jumping, but surely isn't that down to the size of the kite/wind speed?

Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:12 am

The LEI's that I fly (LF Havocs, HiFi's) are way faster and slack the lines at the apex of a jump, better than the foils I have used (HQ Montana's, Apex's and Neo's). That being said, I like my LEI's more for powered tricks (feel like I can load the lines more aggressively and they tend to have better down-wind drift characteristics).
For 'sent' tricks, I'm not really sure it matters a whole lot... Chasta seems to crush-it on whatever gear he is flying!
You might want to check the 'Dimensions' trailer on this site... I would say if you like their style of riding you may want to pay close attention to what gear they are riding.

Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:04 am