It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:38 pm

Snowkite noob 

Post Snowkite noob
Hello,

I'm new with snowkiting and I'm going to buy my first kite. Ive been doing snowboarding for a long time, and now i would like to try it out on ice! Im very light (136lbs), and I'm thinking of buying Ozone access XT 8m^2 or 10^2. So I'm just asking some advice, and what you would recommend. The wind is usually light at my place (3-4 m/s). So is 8sqm kite big enough to get me moving? And I hope I won't need to buy a new kite when I learn to snowkite properly. Has anybody experience with this kite??

Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:47 pm

Post Re: Snowkite noob
I thought the Ozone kites had great directional glide characteristics, and have good hang-time too, but I like my LF stuff (The Envy with Max Flow will be Dope-show for the snow)... just preference I suppose.

If you plan on getting into the sport you're gonna eventually need more than one kite: hate to be the bearer of bad news. That being said, your first kite should be on the small size, probably the 8m. You don't want to accidentally go out overpowered, ya know!

I'm 165lbs and fly my 8 and 12 all the time... I do have a 15, but that thing is so donkey... I'd rather just go ride the park when its that light.

Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:21 pm

Post Re: Snowkite noob
I love the flying characteristics of the 2010 "Access XT's". I have a 6m and a 10m. The 6m was my intro to depower kites and also my intro to terrain. And I weigh about 100kgs/220lbs. I am easily pulled up terraces by the 6m in moderate to high winds. You will love the 8m but a better way to go about it is to get a smaller kite like the 6m "Access XT'" and do a higher aspect ratio kite like a 9m or 11m "Frenzy" for your low to moderate wind kite.

For my higher aspect ratio kites, I love the HQ Montana V's. The Frenzys were not avaliable in season so I took chance with the less expensive HQ's and am glad I did. I have a full quiver of Montana V's now and they really make the most of the wind. In my opinion, they are built better than Ozone, have a better safety system (jerk off not pull towards), and have better customer service. The 2010 Ozones also had 1 size of bar for all the kite sizes. Due to this, I had to replace my 10m Ozone bar with a longer HQ bar. But I cannot find out where Ozone is publishing the 2011 Specs for bar sizes. But a 8m 2010 Access XT should have a perfect sized stock bar. Ozone is getting even worse for publishing specs as time goes on.

Also, if you have no trainer kite experience - a 6m Access XT has the power to put you in the hospital and set you back a season. Anything larger will put you in a casket if you are not an experienced kiter.

Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:01 pm