[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The Snowkiting Forum - View topic - snowkiting in new england
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:40 pm

snowkiting in new england 

Post snowkiting in new england
Hi, I want to start snow kiting this winter in new england (I am based in Boston), and have a couple of questions:

1. is there a school in the area, or can someone recommend a teacher to get started?

2. I currently practise flying the kite with a Rush III Pro (3.5 m^2). I heard it can be used to for snow kiting? I can use either ski or snowboard (more comfortable with skis). I weigh 160 pound.

3. What additional equippment do I need (harness? chicken loop ? ...?). Is there a place where I can rent that close to any of the sites (e.g. lakes in NH) and also the skis etc? If the kite is too small, maybe also rent a kite there?

thanks for any help to get me started, am very excited...

Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:33 pm

Post Re: snowkiting in new england
I cannot help you with a school but you do have the right attitude for being willing to go there.

I am stoked for this season too! I have been watching my vids constantly, scoping out places to kite, and just dreaming of that first snow.

You have a great kite to start out with but you will definitely need a depower kite in the future. With the Rush Pro III you can get yourself off the ground, and even ride a mountain board with it. Snow is most likely going to leave you wanting (and being able to handle) more power. But definitely keep your trainer kite.

When on old strait edged skis, I can typically handle a kite that is 1-3 meteres less than when I am on a snowboard. That means that when I am comfortable on my 12.5m Montana V with a snowboard, I can go down to a 9.5m Montana V or 10m Ozone Access XT and get the same feeling with skis. But I am 215lbs so adjust you big kite size according to your weight. I would guess that your biggest kite for your weight (if you lived here) would be a 9.5-11 meter. Your local winds may dictate something different. But everyone needs small kites when in high winds.

As far as the harness, I love my Ozone Access SB harness. But be sure to order anything Ozone soon, as they were really tough to get anything out of once October rolled around. For kites, HQ is typically avaliable throughout the year. I wish HQ made a knock off of the Access SB Harness.

Good luck.

Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:09 pm

Thanks,

so it seems I do need to buy a harness? And I don't think there is a harness that can be used both for kitesurfing and snowkiting?

Also what else to I need to connect the Rush III Pro to the harness?

Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:52 am

I hope some one chimes in with more experienced advice on the harness because I do use the Ozone "Access SB" snow kite specific harness for snowkiting. This harness fits any size person regardless of the amount of clothing they are wearing. But when you are snowkiting, you will most likely have less clothing on than you think. This should allow the use of a water kite harness, especially if you use a seat harness. But I have seen people using waist harnesses over their coats. There is even a zipper device that allows the bar hook to pop through your winter coat while wearing the waist harness underneath a coat.

For the Rush Pro - you do not really need to connect it to a harness to ride. It is a small enough kite to be able to easily handle with out being hooked it. If you had perfectly clean ocean breeze like the kite-buggy guys, then you could make use of harness lines with a non depower kite. It is just that the winds on land, and especially terrain, are gusty enough that you need the freedom of being able to push away the bar on a non-depower kite. This allows your Rush Pro to almost act as a depower kite when you stretch out your arms to lean back against a gust.

If you do decide to put harness lines on the Rush Pro, there needs to be a quick release on those lines to ditch the kite (secondary release) in an emergency situation. This is because if you get a big enough gust, you may not be able to pull the bar toward you to unhook.

Your next kite should be a depower kite that you will be hooked into at all times at first. This is where you need to revisit the exercise of pulling your primary release to kill the kite. This action needs to be instantaneous and instinctual for you. Make sure that you can pull the primary release by the time you make it half way to the barbed-wire fence you are being dragged toward. This is because you still need time to activate the secondary and ditch the kite before you actually hit the barbed-wire fence if the primary does not function properly.

Good luck and enjoy the snow!

Matt

Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:49 am

I live about 3hrs north of Boston and we have a few of us up here that snowkite and have some great places to ride and could help with free lessons. I use Hq kites and a Dakine seat harness that can be used in water or snow also could help with gear for a lesson. There is a great school in Burlinton VT called stormboarding and can be found at stormboarding.com

Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:57 am

Regarding equipment, think about a helmet and knee pads if you're snowboarding.
If you're looking for Snow kiting spots, check out

Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:10 pm

I second that on the pads! I have a piece of bone that moves around on my knee that did not before last season. It was a stupid mistake since I was well aware that the soft snow was only 6" and the frozen snow was less than 3". I got pulled forward on my snowboard and my knee went through those 2 layers to the ice beneath.

As far as snow kiting, I really do not know any one that does not wear a helmet. Snowboard/ski helmets are warm and comfortable and just make tons of sense for kiting. Especially since there is the chance of a freak gust yarding you even if you do everything right. Not to mention that most foil and LEI kites require you to maintain consciousness to activate the primary and secondary releases.

Definitely pad and helmet up before you have a newly mobile piece of bone or make a path in the snow that you do not remember.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:39 am

Where are you located Highwind? The season is comming up quick! I would recommend taking a lesson from Rachael at Stormboarding. They've been around forever and have the most expirience in instructing and have it dialed. This means faster results and progression for you and money well spent. Lessons take the guess work out of the equation and add a considerable level of safety.

Less chance of injury=More time to fly.

In regards to a harness I'm a true believer in the Dakine Fusion seat harness. I've put literally thousands of miles on mine over the years and it's been rock solid and awesome the whole time. They aren't the cheapest and they're a little bulky but that's where the support comes from. You definately get what you pay for and they haven't changed much until this year so if you can find a closeout it will be a lot cheaper. And you can use it for any kiting you do. They are sized small-XL so you want to be sure to pick a size that you can wear year round. They have a pretty big fit range. I'm 200 lbs with a 34" (shudder) waist and I can wear the large year round. It's a snug fit in the winter with layers but its never uncomfortable.

Get a helmet for sure and armor is always a good idea especially if you're gonna be on the ice. Like Matt say's the gusts can get ya and it's wicked dirty gusty wind in a lot of places in New England. Also if riding ice an ice screw is essential in my opinion. It can make the difference from having a small little issue to a day or season ending issue. I ride in Northern New England mostly and have a blog about it. Check it out if you want to see what riding in this part of the country can be like. http://www.harwaterkiter.com

Remember we are all ambassadors to this sport. Have fun out there and be safe.

Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:00 am

Agreed. Stormboarding is a great place to learn in New England as Rachael Miller is an amazing instructor, unrivaled in her experience and certifications for teaching. Plus Lake Champlain (where she teaches) is an easier place to learn because of its flat open expanses. If you have not gone yet here's a good incentive:

YallAboard.com is running a deal on an intro to snowkiting lesson with Stormboarding that includes an extra hour free to insure you'll stand up and fly. http://www.yallaboard.com/deals/12

Only a few spots left and expires in a week.

Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:59 pm

Have fun, one great sport!
Keep me updated when you decide to moved to a depower Ozone or Flysurfer Foils with loops... I'll get you the best prices...
Also for now the Ozone Access I can sell for $100 off....
Paul
http://www.PBKiteboarding.com

Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:57 pm