[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The Snowkiting Forum - View topic - Beginner snowkiter, looking for help purchsing a first kite.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:08 pm

Beginner snowkiter, looking for help purchsing a first kite. 

Post Beginner snowkiter, looking for help purchsing a first kite.
I am a beginner kiteboarder who was referenced to this forum through kiteforum.com

this thread

Basically, I am looking to buy a snowkite that will also work on water. Any input would help.

Here is what im looking for
-fairly durable
-easy to fly, but not a low performance beginner kite, something I will grow into
-decent depower
-good upwind
-wide windrange
-something that can be used both attached or unattached to the harness (not sure on the terminology here, or if this is even possible?")

I have a fairly open budget. I can justify buying an upper-end kite if the performance and "usability" match the price.

Also, if there is anyone here in the ND area who would like to give me some help getting into the sport, it would much be appreciated!

Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:11 am

Post Re: Beginner snowkiter, looking for help purchsing a first kite.
You want to chose your kite based on specific criteria: Your experience, average wind speed at your location, your weight and of course, how you will use the kite (ski, snowboard, water).

Based on your post, it sounds like you need to start with a 3.5-5m fixed-line foil first. I highly recommend the HQ Rush 350 Pro or the HQ Scout 5m. The 5m may be large enough to use on windy days on the snow too.
Fly that thing till you can do it blindfolded with one hand behind your back, next... buy 'How to Snowkite" which is available on this site (watch that lots). Then when you are comfortable with all of that you might want to take a lesson (schools will offer a discount on gear if you take a lesson from them).

If you want one kite for water and snow, I would recommend a Leading Edge Inflatable (LEI), although there is some self-preference involved here (I have yet to try a closed-cell foil I trust enough to use in the water, even though there are a couple options out there). If you take a lesson, chances are you will be able to try both foils and LEI's (another reason to take a lesson.

Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:16 am

Oh yeah, almost forgot... there are some schools in Minnesota and Wisconsin (not sure about SD), but if you want lots of snow check out Traverse City, Michigan. The best time to Snowkite there is Jan-March. Wind is generally 15-25mph with plenty of snow (we get all the lake-effect on the east side of Lake Michigan... it snows everyday).

Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:23 am

Sorry bro, didn't read your other post on kiteforum...

If you already have the trainer down solid a 5m could be fun, and will up the ante' but sounds like you need to go big at this point.

I'm about 160lbs and ride in 15-25mph winds a lot on a snowboard. Liquid Force is my weapon of choice (except the board... you can spend less and get more from a snowboard company like Burton). I use the exact same set-up on water and snow: My small kite is an 8m Envy... Stable, fast relaunching Delta style kite. My medium sized kite is a 12m Hifi comp... A 5-line C-hybrid (great for a wake-style riding). And lastly, my big kite is a 16m Havoc... This is a fast Hybrid style LEI. I do have a 10m HQ Apex I use it for teaching. Its pretty bomb-proof, forgiving and it can be fun for back-country too.

I have taught lots of people for some time now and can say that the "Delta" styled kites have helped my students progress the fastest. They have near automatic relaunch, amazing directional drift, are extremely efficient and just plain fun to fly... I honestly think that if we do get a "one-kite-quiver" it will be a Delta shape. That being said....
I would recommend the following (probably in this order too)
Liquid Force Envy
Cabrinha Nomad
F-one Bandit
Best Kahoona
Definitely try before you buy... LF has the cleanest and safest bar out there with one of lightest canopy's
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4ChOz1o3N94?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4ChOz1o3N94?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2pqLBxsZJAk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2pqLBxsZJAk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:05 am

Generally if you want to Snowkite, Foil Kites are easier to learn on and won't get damaged as easily as Inflatables on snow... We've figured out allot teach over the years and doing Kite repair.

Any kiter should learn on foil first. The A trainer with a reall loop is rare to find.

are the Best since they have 4 colored lines for snow and a loop with safety release on the bar just like the larger kites. If you have a good budget keep an eye on the ...

The Best foils for Water and Snow are For your larger kite later an inflatable is fine. With less friction in winter you won't need.

We fly and teach on all 3 main types open cell foils, closed cell foils and inflatable and support them all.

There is also a way to double up trainer and higher wind kite use but it's better to go over detail...

If you decide to go Inflatable the Ozone Catalyst would be a great option:

Contact us if you need more info..
http://www.pbkiteboarding.com
Kiteboarding Snowkiting Lanboarding

Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:48 pm