It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:31 pm

Please help me with right kite size for person 110 lbs 

Post Please help me with right kite size for person 110 lbs
I want to find the right kite size for my wife. Her weight is 110 lbs. She learned to control a powerkite, and it's going to snow soon. I was trying to find any suggestion about what kite size would work best for her? the winds in our area usually 10-15 mph. Sometimes up to 20. The only one size chart that i fond is that http://www.mackiteboarding.com/snowkitesize.html
but it was updated 6 years ago.
I just would like to get another opinion.

Thank you

Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:12 am

Post Re: Please help me with right kite size for person 110 lbs
You probably want to get her something in the range of a 6-10m kite... kinda depends on her ability, skis vs board and how agro she's gonna be. One of my friends probably weighs-in at about the hundo-mark and she flys 6's, 8's and 12's a lot. If you are gonna get one kite, I say go 8 or 9... but this sport normally requires a couple kites. Start with a medium sized kite and as it is more realistic to get a second, you'll know where to go from there.
-Nate

Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:35 pm

What kind of kite are you using? Foils, inflatos, Arcs? That will make a difference in what would be appropriate. 110# is pretty light and unless you're in really deep snow or she's really agressive I would lean towards a 5-7.5m foil. A 7m foil like an HQ Apex 1,2 would handle a huge wind range for her. It has a lo of depower but has great grunt too. Minimal lift and very good gust absorbing ability. Super stable. My wife @130# rocks that thing in all kinds of winds. Goes upwind like you wouldn't believe.

A 5m would be a good pick as well. Still offers a good amount of power but has a better high end for a lightweight. Can be sined really well if underpowered.

My 2 cents.

Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:17 am

Yeah... The HQ Apex 7m would be dope! It has a great disarming system that beginners can feel comfortable with and is really easy to fly.
Personally, I really like inflatables, in which case a little bigger kite is necessary (8m or 9m). But, my foils definitely have their place too... I like'm for back country, where I can get an easy tow up the hill, and easily break the thing down!
-Nate

Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:24 pm