It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:35 am

Tips for beginner... 

Post Tips for beginner...
Hi there,

I'm new in snowkiting and would like to have some tips for a newbie like me.

I've never done that type of sport yet so far. I've tried static kiting and learned it it very well (HQ Rush III Pro 250). Now I want to do the next step, de-power snowkiting. I bought an HQ Apex III 5.0 with the harness. I'm not really sure if I should go on skis or snowboard. I never tried snowboard in my life and last time I skied, it was during 1992 winter season, so it's been quite a while (parabolic skis merely known at that time) .

What would be the safest and easier one to start with? Skis or snowboard? Based on snowkiting vids I saw so far, snowboards seems to have the most natural stance. I know there are some pro-snowboards and some pro-skiers. I don't want a debate about which one is better than the other one. Just some basic advises only.

Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:30 pm

Post Re: Tips for beginner...
I'm a snowboarder, so of course I'm going to say snowboarding. But here are the pro's on why I like it. First off, as you said, natural stance. Your harness and hips directly face the kite on a board, on ski's you're off by 90 Degrees. Also, for while your learning, there are going to be times when the kite is strong and kicks your butt. On a snowboard, you can lean back and skid or slid while maintaining your feet. Lastly, ski's can fall off, a snowboard can't. Trying to walk upwind in ski boots to retrieve your ski's would not be fun.

Once you have the basics down, both are fine. Also, when it isn't winter, you can use a landboard or a mountain board. With ski's there's not much you can do other than fly it static.

Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:39 pm

Got your PM. Go ahead and post any questions here on the forum so that other beginners can learn from them.

If you're 43, your also more prone to injury than I am. You may want to stick with skis just for the fact that you already have some experience on them. My friends who ski don't go near as big as my friends who snowboard.

If you're just looking to take it easy, maybe your best bet is skis. The advantage is that you have two edges to dig in instead of just one. But if you are on a board, you're able to move around more easily, and be pulled at all sorts of angles that skis might feel awkward.

Make sure you always wear a helmet. and I'd recommend knee and elbow pads while learning. Also, learn how to fall. It may sound silly but it really helps if you know how to bail onto your knees or elbows and slide. Also protects the rest of your body.

Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:08 pm

p8ntballsk8r is giving great advice. I prefer a snowboard though I did try to use skis to improve my ability to have fun on light wind days. I learned to ski on the local ski hill specifically for combining it with kiting later. It turned out that I got good at skiing on the hill but never could really put skis and a kite together. And now with the new "rocker" snowboards, I really think that snowboards are now nearly equal to skis in many more ways than they were before rocker boards. But skis will always be faster, better in light wind requiring less kite, and more mobile.

That said, I just spent 2 weeks up near Spirit Lake, IA and was put in my place by a kite skier. The conditions were epic for the Midwest and the terrain that we found was indescribable. My kite skier friend is 61years old, 160lbs max, and flew a 13m inflatable SLE kite with 3 years of water and snow experience. I am 33 years old, 215lbs, and flew 12.5m foils with 3 seasons of primarily snow experience. Embarrassingly, I usually found the conditions to be too much before he did. On a couple of occasions, I only stayed out because he was staying out. This lead to some of the best jumping and "hang-gliding off of the hill" sessions I have ever had. Thanks Bill!

So don't discount skis if you have experience with them, and already own them. I kind of wish I could do the ski thing too. And don't think you need new shaped skis to kite with. I purchased some unused old straight skis off of craigs list for the going rate of $10.00 per pair. They work fine for me on the hill and some people prefer them to shaped skis under a kite.

Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:45 am

hey thanks Matt and p8nt! :)

I would like to have your input on a kite choice please. Yesterday I found a nearby good reputated snowkiting school and had a conversation over the phone with the instructor. During our chat, he asked me what was the size of my kite and my weight. It is an HQ Apex III 5.0 and my weight is 200-210 pounds. He told me that my Apex would be a little small for my size. He suggested me for my next kite purchase to go for at least a 10.0 meter one. With that size of kite I would have better and smoother pull in lower winds.

So I found two models and would like to have your opinion:

- Ozone Access XT 10.0
- HQ Montana VI 9.5 or 12.5

At the moment the Ozone is the best bargain but I would have a preference for the new HQ ones :)

big Al...

Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:51 pm

I have a Montana 5 and a Montana 6 in 12.5m. I also have the other 2 sizes in the Montana 5. I love all of them but the 12.5 is my bread and butter kite. All of the other smaller sizes are used in some gusty winds that make them feel somewhat uncomfortable. But they are good kites for hitting the terrain.

I also own a 2010 Ozone "Access XT" in the 10m size. I did have to change out the bar to make it turn better but it is a decent kite. But over all I am sold on HQ's robust construction for all of my future purchases.

Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:17 pm

Thanks Matt V,

I only eared good comments on the new Montana 6 kites. So my next purchase gonna be the M6 12.5. My vendor gonna be happy :)

Cheers...

Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:12 am