It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:35 pm

Will megatron chicken loop work with older frenzy? 

Post Will megatron chicken loop work with older frenzy?
Hi I've got an older frenzy, probably 07/08 with the original control bar (top hat release and release at chickenloop). Can I switch to a newer cotrol system like an access or contact-snow with the megatron release system on the chickenloop?The ozone site talks about "total flag out" upon release of the megatron thing. What does that mean?Is it better/safer than my current set up. I did pop the top hat a few times last season and still felt a substantial tug in a few crazy gusts. Thanks. Mark

Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:54 am

Post Re: Will megatron chicken loop work with older frenzy?
Yep megation loop can be added to older frenzy bar. The Single line flagout 2012 system upgrade will most likely require modification.

Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:16 pm

If I understand your situation correctly, you want to put a 4 line kite on a 5th line bar. This will not work unless you sew in a 5 line bridle system into the kite. Unlike inflatables that have a single point 5th line attachment, foils can require a leading edge to trailing edge bridle at the center of the kite that attaches to the 5th line. This effectively "breaks the back" of kite allowing you to completely kill it. I have not seen the new 2012 Ozones yet, but this is how I believe they are set up. I think they are reffering to the "Total Flagout" as a 5th line release. Sometime in the future, I believe all brands of kites will do this with their open cell foils.

On 4 line foil depower systems without a 5th line, your last ditch after the brake or top hat is to anchor one of the steering lines most likely at the relaunch loop on one side. Old school kiters from a while back will know these as being (similar to) the OSR handles. OSR as in "Oh S--t!"

Every kite behaves differently and some kites like the 2011 Ozone "Frenzy" will not kill at all with this method because of the bridle arrangement.

The best policy is to not go out in 20mph+ winds. If you do, make sure you have a length of nylon webbing and a caribiner for a quick anchor to a tree or other immovable object. Failing this, you may want to try to hang your kite on a vertical downwind object such as a fence post. This is dangerous too since you could get a front line caught and suddenly power up the kite which would drag you toward the object you were going to use to hang the kite on.

In the end, you have to be ready to let the kite go. An '08 kite is worth less than an emergency room visit.

Stay safe and make sure you pester others about this issue. Do not rely completely on advice you get in this forum. Especially from me because I have never owned your particular kite.

Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:34 pm

Thanks Matt.That makes sense. I'll just stick with what I've got and wait til I can afford a newer kite.

Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:01 pm