It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:09 am

Big Horns Mountains,WY...One of the first U.S. 2012 Season 

Post Big Horns Mountains,WY...One of the first U.S. 2012 Season
Pascal Joubert and I were watching the costal forecasts for an off season kitesurfing adventure on the coast when Pascal mentioned Noah’s post on the Big Horns. We saw another storm coming on Monday and Tuesday so there it was!

The first day was full of exploration and it didn’t take but a mile tack before we were at Bald Mountain on the South slope. I was snapping a couple pictures of Pascal climbing this cool ridge when he turned straight off and flew down. He tacked straight to me and said “there’s a big SW facing slope right over the back of that ridge, let’s go!” Once we found that we were kids in a candy store. Gliding all sorts of ways, with big turns on the way down, some of the time I would launch and look back and see Pascal flying right behind me. It was incredible flying. One hill gave up really long glides and amazing powder runs below. It was on for the rest of the week.

Bald Mountain was giving up the most fun terrain. There’s one great bowl that’s super easy to climb and glide off with a massive landing area. When the wind turns west one of the best spots is right by the standard parking (Little Baldy). The last 2 days the wind was Northerly and we ended up enjoying the NW face of Mt Baldy. There’s great gliding available there too and these giant half pipe shapes that are really fun to play in.

The powder stashes were plentiful but dwindled as the week went on and strong wind scoured. I do however have a core shot and a bunch of scratches on my board so plan on bumping the bottom here and there if you want to be on the terrain.

Friday, Saturday and Sunday gave way to some really fun kiting with good friends from all over. Pascal and I weren’t the only ones to haul 6 hours to dip into the snow. The locals I met knew every inch of the place and were from Sheridan and Cody for the most part. Great people all with solid skills, makes for an epic adventure.

I’m going to say if you’re a terrain kiting buff the Big Horn’s are world class. It’s hands down one of the best spots in the country to date. Explore the Big Horns!

Attachments:
File comment: Pascal Digging in
bigh1 (2).JPG
bigh1 (2).JPG [ 86.44 KiB | Viewed 9388 times ]
File comment: Pascal Banking a Turn
bigh1 (1).jpg
bigh1 (1).jpg [ 51.22 KiB | Viewed 9390 times ]
File comment: Me Making Some Turns
bigh1.jpg
bigh1.jpg [ 100.54 KiB | Viewed 9391 times ]
Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:18 pm

Post Re: Big Horns Mountains,WY...One of the first U.S. 2012 Season
Jealous! Keep the updates coming. Still waiting for snow here.

Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:15 pm