It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:03 pm

Anyone using ParaskiFlex?? 

Post Anyone using ParaskiFlex??
Hi just wondering if anyone on this site is using or has used ParaskFlex systems and how they compare to other systems. I just bought a Paraski 10-60 and can't wait for some cold weather.

derek

Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:21 am
Post Re: Anyone using ParaskiFlex??
Hi Derek,

I've tried them and enjoyed it greatly. Thinking of buying one this winter. Did you already get yours?

How do you like it?

Keith

Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:30 pm
I've never heard of these kites. I took a quick look at their site but don't really understand the construction of the kite. Are they sheetable? Inflatable?

Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:27 pm
Hey,

These are not inflatable and are a single sheet- more like a sail.

Very short lines and they can be 'folded up' for high winds, or all- in one trainer kite and riding, wider range of wind with a single kite, etc.

I'm not trying to sell them though- I want to hear more from folks who use them.

I had one of the best experiences ever kite boarding with one of these the one day I took it out. The bar is different than a typical kite- the kite will always be in the direction of your bar- more like a steering wheel. I loved it- as a super-experienced snowboarder with not much kite experience I found it very liberating to know what my kite was doing without having to look up.

Also, I hope to ride in fields and on smaller lakes, (I'm in Vermont- no open spaces like west/ midwest) so I'm really drawn by the short lines.
Most of all- in a technology that has so many variations- I just really resonated with the simplicity of these 'kites'.

I wish I could figure out how to paste a picture...

Would love to hear from other Paraskiers?

Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:43 am
They look kind of like an NPW or something. I didn't realize that there was nothing supporting the leading edge. It looks like would have a tendancy to tuck and collapse in dirty winds.

Also, the short lines really aren't that much of an advantage in my mind. If you don't have enough room for 25m lines then you probably don't have enough room to get clean winds to have a good time anyway. Plus the window would be pretty small and I doubt that you could get much power by working the kite in light winds.

I didn't realize that the bar is attached "sideways" when I looked at it the first time. Very interesting, but it looks pretty awkward for someone coming off a standard kite. Plus no sheeting. It did look like some riders were harnessed in the video but I couldn't see how. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Es1kcf1MRVE)

All in all it looks like a fun toy to go cruising across a lake with, but I can't see that thing turning anyone who is already out flying "regular" kites. I'd like to have a go on one sometime but highly doubt it would make me want to give up my Ozones.

Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:24 am
I think the have carbon fiber rods (like tent poles) or something.

Definitely not a toy... yes- everyone is always with a harness.

During Kitestorm on Lake Champlain in light winds the folks on paraski flexes were the only ones getting overhead in the air. Breaking 60mph speeds, etc. The short lines are more like a sailboat, I guess, but long enough to work pretty well in light or inconsistent winds.

I'm surprised no one else is checking in on the conversation- any paraski flexers out there? Derek you been out yet? Do you have experience with 'regular' kites?

I'm not sure what you mean by sheeting...

What's a NPW?

I still have alot to learn about all of this, certainly still have an open mind, and want to try all of the kites I can get my hands on...
But I think this system will be my fist kite. If you're ever in VT give a shout and we can swap kites...

Keith

Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:05 pm

FIgured out how to post a photo- I think!

Thanks to whoever put up this website....

Attachments:
File comment: Lake Champlain
KMorris_kite.jpg
KMorris_kite.jpg [ 10.42 KiB | Viewed 20292 times ]
Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:39 pm
Sheeting means depower. The ability to change the AOA of the kite to increase or decrease the power of the kite. You get more range out of the kite.

An NPW is a "nasa para wing" or something like that. Basically its a single skin foil that is often flown on very short lines or even with handles right off the bridles.

I bet this kite has some kind of spar in the leading edge that helps it keep its shape. That would make sense.

Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:43 am

Hey Redcap,

I don't think they're really that much like a NPW really, but I'm afraid I can't really tell you why. Just look different.

I also think there was some way to depower... Again, I've only spent a day on this system, and maybe or hour or so at that.

I'm going to invite someone who may know more about these to this forum. ..

I'm thinking I'll rig this kite to an ice climbing harness... (crossover from the seat/ waist discussion).

Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:09 pm
I've been kite skiing on a Paraski-flex F 5-30 series for a few years. The kite is supposed to handle 5 to 30 kilometers per hour wind but I'm out in about 7 MPH to 25MPH.
They are nothing like a Nasa Wing; what is?
They are shaped like a half circle like a Peter Lynn C-quad with a rigid carbon fiber rod that slides in and gives it the shape.
They are made in Canada and there are about 40 schools from Montreal through the Gaspe. The schools are really inexpensive and you can even rent a kite for the day. http://www.paraskiflex.ca/
They had a US distributor but no more so you will not find many in here in the US or even outside Canada.

Do a search in Youtube for paraskiflex and you'll find some great videos.

Here's what's good and what's not:
1) Fast set up- I can set the kite up in under 5 minutes even in gusty wind. That's throwing the kite on the snow, putting in the leading edge rod, cliping in and taking off. The kite just lies on the snow or ice until you launch; it has no lift until you launch. Inflatables and Peter Lynn (which I also have) will want to flap around and need a lot of attention when setting up. You can't just lay them down and take your hands off.
2) Fast take down- only need about 5 minutes.
3) Lines are only about 20 feet long. I can play in a soccer field since I don't need room for 100 foot lines. When the kite is on the ground I can throw the lines on top of the kite so they don't get cut ( I use it on ice with skates a lot and people are always skating up to talk)
4) No tubes to puncture. I'm always out early in the year in corn fields that will put a hole in anything. If I get a hole, all I need to do is put on some sail tape. Its been years and while there are pin holes I have not patched anything.
5) Safe for going out by yourself. No problem launching or landing. If you throw the safety it drops straight down. The lines are only 20 feet long so it's not flopping around a hundred feet away. It's sitting there 20 feet away. Hitch in, launch it and off you go.
6) All kites can get tangled lines. Even my Peter Lynn Venoms which have only 4 lines can get tangled. But the Paraski flex has only 3 lines! I can detangle anything in under a few minutes.
7) I've taught lots of my friends how to kite ski using my Paraski flex. It takes about 5 minutes for people who can ski and are used to the wind (sailors) to about 20 to 30 for others. Then I let them go.
8) These things handle gusts better than anything. If there's a problem like a mega gust, release the safety and it falls straight down. Or you can steer it into the snow leading edge first, when it hits just let it stay there till the gust passes. It will not move until you rotate the leading edge up and launch.
9) Mine is about 5 years old and has 4 modes which allow me to fly in anything from 7MPH to about 25. The new ones have 2 or 3 modes but what they all do is take the trailing edge and pull it in to reduce the projected surface. In full storm mode it is shaped like a tube. Changing modes takes about 5 minutes so if you are out and the wind picks up you can always get back. I hate to be out over 25 MPH in cold driving snow so the range is good for me.
10) Paraski flex hosted the 2008 World Ice and Snow Sailing Championships so if you search on WISSA you'll see lots of their kites.

1- the bad. You can't find used cheep Paraski flex kites in the US. If you go to paraskiflex.ca, go into the french forums and look for used equipment. Use Google language tools to translate. Otherwise, contact the vendor for new. You will really get a lot of use out of the kite and they handle a wide wind range so you really can have a quiver of one. Especially if you get the F series.
2- the bad. Crap on water. The R series and L series are supposed to be good for water but I don't see how you relaunch if it drops into water. At least an inflatable or something like a Flysurfer or Peter Lynn sit on top of the water for a relaunch.
3- the bad. They don't fly as nicely as a typical 4 or 5 line kite. You can have lots of fun with little experience and go just as fast but 4 and 5 line kites respond much more quickly to user input. 4 and 5 line kites also jump higher but that can be a bad thing if you don't know how to do it safely.
4- the bad. They don't have any schools in the US and people will really look at you funny when you use one.

The Great!!- Great for kids- check out this site. It goes to "www flexlibre dot com" and translates to english http://translate.google.com/translate?u ... l=fr&tl=en

Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:11 pm

Thanks, guest- I appreciate that feedback... maybe you can send someone from those forums over here- I'm in the market for a paraski flex. I've had really poor communication with the manufacturer, though.

What kind of harness do you use? Look at this photo- you can see that the clip that the bar is attached to moves along a line between the legs or something?

Pretty sweet shot, though. I may post this to the harness discussion as well!

[img]
http://www.gfci.ca/images/paraski3.jpg[/img]

Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:06 pm

Hi,I posted as Guest yesterday.
The harness is very simple and light but can't be used with other kites without modification. I'll post some pictures but here's a description.

No spreader bar. Instead, there is an O ring at each hip with a line tied between them. The swiveling safety release slides on the line. The line is about the width of a depower line and about 5000LB test so it is not going to break. The line does 3 things: 1) the kite is not pulling from your navel twisting you to face the kite all the time. It can pull from the side. 2) no spreader bar saves weight and allows you to bend over easily. 3) the line can be lenghtened or shortened so different waist sizes can use one size harness. Nice when you're trying to fit it over ski clothes.

No spreader bar means that you can't easily use the harness with other kites.

Half the weight of other harnesses. Looks like it has more support than Ozone's back country harness.

The quick release is the best feature. It is a panic snap shackel made for horses. It's stronger than anything you'll ever need since it is designed to release with a pull if a 2 ton horse panics and needs to be quickly released from something. It has a built in swivel and can be released, re-attached with ease.

I've modified my Peter Lynn depower line to end in a large O ring. Now I can use the harness with Paraski Flex, or my Peter Lynn Venoms and Phantoms.

Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:57 am

Finally got my Paraski Flex 10-60! I've been flying it everyday.

I'm totally enjoying the 'storm modes' because I can fold the kite up and fly from my feet (like a trainer) in small fields and parks, etc. that are too small to ride. I can feel that it really wants to pull as I've gone into 'half storm' in very light winds.

Tomorrow I'll finally get out on my board on a nearby small lake (and will bring skis if there isn't any snow on the ice), and will probably open to full span... can't wait!

If anyone on here was looking for one of these sail/ kites, give me a shout.

Peace, Wind, and Snow,
Keith

Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:28 pm
Hi Keith. Welcome to the ParaskiFlex club. A 'foreign' kite club because there is no distributor in US. Maybe you should be ! I use it sometimes just a quarter mile from where I live! My friend is Don, who you've e-met. He has other kites that most people have. I just have the P-flex. The dream is to use it to ski BACK UP the hill you just telemarked down! Last years kite festival in vermont was great because of pretty good wind condition and milder temps. Year before was too windy and no wind each day with brutal cold. you never know... Glad your enjoying it. It does have a lot of advantages and versatility. Watch out for curious people skating over your lines when you put it down. Already got partial line damage from person(s) doing this. always put lines up on body fabric or don't leave it alone! Buy some spare line for repair! Maybe meet you sometime .Happy kiting.

Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:16 pm

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php ... 2606282190
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=113627970611

here u go. this will crank u up. i,ve been doing doing it now for a while and i got 3
flexes. i also snowkite with ozone foilkites. i like both. using the flex u will have a better expierence with skies, than a snowboard, fot the kite will be low to the ground and the lower you set it the more it will pull u. as for the depower there is no system. look at the vid,s as you see the rider put the bar up to the ski the kite will climb to zeinuth, and you will get no more forward pull. if u do this fast and turn upwind with good speed u will lounch. and when u bring the bar down sideways it will pull to where you want to go.
it,s fast and direct as a kite or sail. i think its easer to learn than kiting. my2 cents. but kiting you are flying the power. that is the diference.
if you need info pm me and i could give you some good inputs, and safty

Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:56 pm