It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:50 am

beginner advice wanted 

Post beginner advice wanted
Alright, so I've logged quite a few hours on my 3m trainer in many different types of wind; strong winds, light winds, "dirty" wind, and now that my lakes are frozen, nice "clean" winds. I can launch and land for the edge of window, I can confidently sine curve in any part of the window, I can fly lying on the ground (prone& prostrate), I have even taken to running cross wind looking for "the sweet spot" which I can find (for a small amount of time) if the kite is not flying too quickly, I have also begun arc-ing the kite through the zenith for smooth(er) transitions while changing my running directions. What else should I be trying to learn on this kite before I take a lesson on a depower system? I am not located close to a lesson, so I would like to have my foundation skills as complete as possible before I take a lesson and move to a bigger kite. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:22 am
Post Re: beginner advice wanted
take it easy, and as you notice the winds getting lighter get out a bigger kite....but err on the side of smaller so you can learn to fly the kite aggresively LOW WINDS (lots of piloting) and defensively HIGH WINDS (very little piloting). Learn to get the kite pullling you off the ground and plainning out essentially a "ground" start. Start sitting and have the kite pull you up to standing position and then have the kite start pulling you..

Basically, soudns like you need to start riding and as you do this you will need to be aware of you lean with or against the kite, rotation, pressure on edge against or with the kite, and simply put it together based on the feel that you have from the kite...i.e., high winds, low winds will each create a different feel of pull allowing you to respond in both stance and pressure against the kite accordingly.

Have fun

Take it slow and always be aware of where the dangers around you are,.e.g., powerlines, farm equipment, water openings in a lake, other people.etc

See ya out there
Last bumped by Anonymous on Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:22 am.

Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:22 am