It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:22 pm

SNOWKITE INSTRUCTION???? 
Post SNOWKITE INSTRUCTION????
I WANT TO START SNOWKITING. SHOULD I PAY AN INSTRUCTOR OR JUST BUY A TRAINER KITE AND TEACH MYSELF????

Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:29 pm
Post Re: SNOWKITE INSTRUCTION????
Both. You can figure out the basics with a trainer kite by yourself. Buy one get good at it, then go get a lesson. You'll enjoy the trainer even after your a proficient kiter.

Let the school know you're good with a trainer kite, and they'll get you going quicker riding on snow. Lots of reasons for a lesson, you could learn yourself, but it is much safer with a lesson, you can abuse their kite not yours, they'll have the right kite size for the wind conditions, the list goes on. You'll also have a pretty good idea what size kite you should invest in and type after discussing with the instructor.

If you go out and learn by yourself which some people will do (not recommended), at least get some opinions from experience kiters regarding the type of equipment you're going to buy, how to use it, and where your going to use it. And get really good with the trainer kite.

Good luck.

Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:22 am
THANKS!!! GREAT REPLY.

Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:21 am

although a little on the late side.I would like to extend my opinion.

Lessons with any risk taking sprts is a great idea. If you were to go skydiving or paragliding, sure you MAY be able to find the gear, perhaphs on the infamous ebay...but then ....welp....
trial and error. This is how many of the hardened snowkiters of the day have been able to learn, by taking the abuse of a bad decsion etc, but it is not nessesary.

Lesson will speed your progression and allo you to try many different kites and harnesses before you buy anything,...let alone find out if you like kiting to begin with.

In NH (North Conway NH) I run the Snowkite program at IMCS

http://www.ime-usa.com/imcs/winter/snow_kite.html

here we are very proud to offer a very comprehensive course in snowkiting from VERY begginner (trainer kites) to VERY advanced (True Kite Mountaineering on Mount Washington (home of the strongest wind in the world) and other peaks).

We pride ourselves in being very good at both Instructing as well as snowkiting and take recreation and the facilitation of the sport very seriously. Our goal is to get you out on your own as soon and as safely possible!

So, lesson are perhaphs the one investment that may in fact allow to look back with a humble mind and notice that you learned fast and without pain. That makes for a GREAT recreational experience which is what we are all after!

SO get a lesson!

Save yourselve the trial and error for the grocery list at a super market...not in snowkiting or any other risk taking recereation.

Live without regrets!

Zebulon
-Crab

Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:45 pm