My new kite 

Post My new kite
After waiting two months I finally got it:

http://picasaweb.google.com/shaggs2rich ... eAccessXT#

Cheers

Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:04 am

Post Re: My new kite
Way to go shaggs!

Nice kite too, you will love it im sure. I looked through those pictures and that setup ozone gives now looks pretty sick. I think my favorite part of buying from ozone is the abundant baggy of stickers you get haha, i put that S$&% all over my stuff

Anyways, good luck with the kite (I don't remember if you have a big kiting background or not) but if you have any questions, throw them up on here!

Ride on!

12m Slingshot Snow Ranger, Snowboard, Landboard

Cold's got nothin on this guy

Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:37 pm

Today was the first time I got it out to fly. What a good time! I've only ever flown a 3.5 meter ozone imp trainer before this, so it was a definite treat. Winds were 20km/h so not to strong but enough to tell that I wasn't using a trainer anymore. Not too sure exactly why but a few times it was a struggle to get the kite to fly back from the edge of the window. A couple times the wind folded the kite onto itself causing it to twist and fall to the ground. I had to spend a few moments to untangle things. A far different experience than flying a fixed bridle.

Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:53 pm

Ah yes the learning stages! Moving up to depower is quite the step, let me know if you have questions! What you experienced last time is your first lesson on the "new" way to steer kites. Your on the right path, the idea now is to find how the kite behaves in certain situations. When more bar pull is needed, when more bar push is needed, etc.

If you keep havin trouble figurin out a situation/need some tips on control etc, let me know im here to help!

Matt

Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:34 pm

I just bought the exact same kite in red. (And just registered here to say that). It's my first kite and I have no flying experience so far but it feels high quality. I've had it for over a month now but the wind seems to die up here every time the weekend rolls around so I haven't been able to get it off the ground yet.... hopefully this weekend. I'll stay tuned to this post to see how things progress for you and share my experiences too.

Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:50 am

I finally tried mine this weekend, unhooked without a board, in 25kph wind with gusts up to 50kph according to the web. All I can say is I'm glad I got the 6m as a beginner instead of something bigger cause this was powerful! At the zenith holding steady it was nearly lifting me off the ground and I'm 205lbs. Got launched a couple times by accidentally dipping into the power zone... Maybe not the smartest day for a maiden flight but after a couple tries with a friend we had it mostly under control.

I figure a couple more practice sessions on my feet, unhooked, and then I'll bring out the board.

Shaggs any update?

Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:57 pm

I have had my red (pink) 6m XT out 2 times this year. Once to get familiar with the safety systems, once to try to board on it. I never made it up wind on the small field I was on, but the wind was not that great either. I can ground start it with no problem. And this was only my second time with a kite/snowboard - the first with a depower kite/snowboard. It is a great step up to a depower kite and feels very similar in performance to my HQ Scout.

Matt
5150 Stroke 164cm
4m HQ scout
6m Access XT
10M Access XT on its way (hopefully)

Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:18 pm

Thats awesome everyone, good to hear the stoke is on!

Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:50 am

Hey Greenhouse, you say you are flying your kite unhooked. If you are not hooking into a harness, you will have a tougher time controlling the kite, not to mention it being more tiring. Additionally, flying it unhooked means you probably have the kite sheeted in all the time, which also makes flying it more difficult. Depower kites were meant to be flown hooked in, that way you can sheet in and out as needed. Just an FYI. The first time you use a harness you will see what i mean. :D

Jack

Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:25 pm

Kiteyak's got it right on :) couldnt have said it better myself

Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:48 pm

I finally made it up wind with my 6m (2nd time out). The snow was fairly deep with some crusted ice to go over too.

I cannot imagine why anyone would fly unhooked (not doing tricks) with this kite. My 4m HQ Scout left me in a pool of sweat from fighting it unhooked. But the first time I went out with my 6m Access XT, I quickly figured out that depower kites are only 20% the work of a fixed line kite. Saving a little bit to sheet in at the edge of the window means you can always turn it and almost never stall. If I said anything wrong, remember that I am a total newbie with only 2 sessions with a depower kite and no personal instruction.

Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:32 pm

I don't know if I read it somewhere or saw it in the how-to video, but I thought trying it un-hooked for the first time would be a bit safer until I learnt how to control it. Eg. just let go if in trouble (had the leash on though). I definitely can see how much easier it would be hooked in.

I've still only tried it that one time. Next time I'll hook in, no board still. Then 3rd time I'll try with the board and actually start kiteboarding hopefully.

Most weekends are too cold to go out here in Fort McMurray, but our Rivers and lakes are good and frozen now, so there's some new terrain to play in on our warmer days at least.

Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:27 pm

Fort McMurray, Alberta? That is further North than I have ever been into Canada. Your snowkiting season must be like 6-7 months up there. I'm at about the most southern reaches of decent snow to even justify having a foil kite.

I apologize for suggesting that you were doing things wrong by not hooking in. You actually went the route that I wish I would have gone and skipped the beginners kite. My first kite was a HQ Scout 4m (non-depower). I purchased it at the recommendation of an online retailer to gain kite skills since there were no schools or instructors here. I first flew my 6m "Access XT" after I had good kite handling skills and tried to snwoboard with my 4m once (though I was decent at mountain boarding with my 4m). Like I said earlier, It left me in a pool of sweat from fighting it on the snow. Now I never want to touch a non-depower kite again.

Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:42 am

I just got my first kite a couple days ago. it is HQ Apex II 7.5m. I have not had a chance to fly it yet, seems like the new bought kite curse. the weather for the past two weeks was perfect to do snowkiting, then the day i get the kite the wind dies. just keep watching the weather waiting. I have only ever used a HQ Rush III so i know this will be a big step up.

any advice that can be passed on to a newbie?

I feel sorry for all you that are probly at the end of your season already, i still have atleast 2 months. and i will be able to do snowkiting under the midnight sun in another month.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:09 am

My biggest tip is to start in low winds! Try low winds that you dont even think the kite will fly, if it doesn't takeoff, then move up 2mph. Keep doing so until it takesoff and flies around.

Also! In your downtime with no wind, watch tonnnns of videos, youtube, vimeo, crashes, tricks, etc. Don't just watch them for the fun of it though, sit there and literally analyze what is happening. If someone gets yanked off the ground or off there feet, figure out why and what they did wrong!

Good luck! post back with more questions :)

Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:55 am