[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The Snowkiting Forum - View topic - Fergus falls, MN snowkite spots
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:02 am

Fergus falls, MN snowkite spots 

Post Fergus falls, MN snowkite spots
Drooling over the snowcover map up there. Going to try to make it up there if I can in a week or two if the snow map does not light up further south. I see some good terrain and some decent public areas that are not looking the steepest but are NOT FLAT.

Anyone kite up there? I am getting desperate for deep and soft snow.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:12 am

Post Re: Fergus falls, MN snowkite spots
I know you're in touch with the Lakawa crew. If you want to go even further North than Fergus Falls, you might want to check in with the University of North Dakota Snowkite Club:

Report back if you find anything good!

Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:02 am

Here's a fresh picture from Grand Forks, North Dakota:
I poached it from Facebook. The caption read "Snow in every direction!"

Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:38 pm

Always wanted to meet up with those guys up in North Dakota. But they seem pretty content with kiting the flat. I am all about hitting the steepest, nastiest, glidingiest, windlippiest, middleofnowhereiest, best terrain that the glacial escarpments have to offer on the Buffalo Ridge. So unfortunately, I get entranced with the first snow covered hills I see on my way up the interstate. It looks like I may only have to go up to Clear Lake, SD again like we did 2 weekends ago. Tons of public land with lots of hills up there and some really nice ranchers. Have not been turned down permission yet. Oh, and if you want the flat, there is always clear lake.

Last week there were 7 of us up there ripping it up on the, well, less than forgiving ice crusted snow. Hoping for the soft stuff this time.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:51 am

Terrain is awesome, but the flat plains offer some of the most steady, unobstructed wind conditions in the country. It's a trade off: On one hand you get frequent rides, on the other hand you have more interesting rides.

Maybe South Dakota offers the best of both worlds... Do you have any pictures?

Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:46 pm

I kept getting the message that the file that I tried to attach was invalid. They are .jpg files and I have reduced them to 1024 x 768 to fit the screen. I even changed the file names to not have any funny underscores or backslashes in them.

Here is a link to the LAKAWA post that I put the maps of the public ground and the pics of us on.

Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:32 am

Sorry about the file upload issue. I might have broken something when I updated to the latest bulletin board version. Otherwise, I have the file upload settings defined too narrowly to be practical. I'll look into it.

//Update: I fixed it. I had to change the settings on the new hosting account to enable uploads. I tested it with a JPG file, and it worked like a charm. You should be able to attach images now.//

I dig the maps and images you uploaded to Lakawa! The "terrain research" is definitely the right approach to snowkiting smarter.

Attachments:
snowkitetest.jpg
snowkitetest.jpg [ 25.23 KiB | Viewed 24979 times ]
Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:30 am

Hoping for the soft stuff this time.

Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:57 am